Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 11:43 PM

Museums

Are they important, the past, does it matter, can they change the future?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 01:58 AM

Re: Museums

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'd say that they are very important. We can learn a great deal from the past and how people use that information varies. Some, like me, just find it interesting. Others can use information from the past to plan for the future.

Then there's the famous saying: "If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it".
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd say that they are very important. We can learn a great deal from the past and how people use that information varies. Some, like me, just find it interesting. Others can use information from the past to plan for the future.

Then there's the famous saying: "If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it".
that's what me history teacher used to say as he passed me desk looked at me work and then wacked me knuckles and then kept repeating it?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 08:18 AM

I have always loved museums - from being a very small child they have fascinated me. One of the first things I do when on holiday is visit the local museums so, yes, I believe they are important - as JBR said - there is so much we can learn from visiting them.

One of my favourites is the open air one at Beamish - brilliant!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have always loved museums - from being a very small child they have fascinated me. One of the first things I do when on holiday is visit the local museums so, yes, I believe they are important - as JBR said - there is so much we can learn from visiting them.

One of my favourites is the open air one at Beamish - brilliant!
I love that one too ST. I never see it as a museum, but as a brief opportunity to experience time travel.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 09:05 AM

A museum ......designed to
Amuse um
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
A museum ......designed to
Amuse um
I like that, Rhian !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I love that one too ST. I never see it as a museum, but as a brief opportunity to experience time travel.
It is an amazing place - and easy to lose track of time all together when there. Have you been down the coal mines?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I think museums give us a great visual look into the past, more so than history books which are written as the powers that were at that time wished them to be written, objects cannot lie. I have spent many many hours in various museums over my lifetime, I love them, and they are some of the very few places where you can visit for free, well over here anyway, I hope they never sell them off to private enterprise as we’ve seen in some Countries, the past belongs to everyone.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Astley Green Colliery Museum, near Leigh to the west of Manchester, with the biggest steam winding engine in Britain.

Open Tuesday afternoons, Thursday afternoons and Sunday afternoons.

http://www.agcm.org.uk/

Free entry, relying on voluntary donations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top