Join for free
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Hair health

My Mum always used to say "if there was something wrong it will show in your hair".............

Well I have dandruff/flaky scalp does not itch & is not sore either( not had this since my 20's), also my hair seems to be slightly thin right at the front, my hairdresser seems to think Menopause symptom...anyone advise?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Re: Hair health

In men (baldness/thinning) it's to do with cholesterol and how it effects the scalp - building up and forcing the hair root to become thinner and thinner, to the point it gets so thin the root dies.

I'm not sure if it's the same for women, but, you could try applying a good quality olive oil and see if that helps thicken it? That will only be a temp solution that can help pause/slow the process - until you investigate other causes (such as diet related perhaps?).
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2010, 07:09 PM

That could be psoriasis? I used to have it on my knees,elbows and in winter my scalp.

Stress and hormonal changes are a factor so could that apply to you?

If it is psoriasis sunshine helps and(I can only speak for myself) I have been clear for over 5 years now which is the same time I took up yoga
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 02:02 AM

Strangely enough a friend and I were talking about this very subject a few days ago and she asked me to go online to see if she could get a certain product she's been given previously by a friend. She has a scaley scalp that caused a scurfy dandruff and its thin and generally lacks body & shine.
This is the product range she uses and as you can see they contain nothing nasty and you apparently use very little per wash.
http://www.handmadenaturals.co.uk/na...SHOWER_GEL.php
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
In men (baldness/thinning) it's to do with cholesterol and how it effects the scalp - building up and forcing the hair root to become thinner and thinner, to the point it gets so thin the root dies.

I'm not sure if it's the same for women, but, you could try applying a good quality olive oil and see if that helps thicken it? That will only be a temp solution that can help pause/slow the process - until you investigate other causes (such as diet related perhaps?).
I refer to the first paragraph of you post Azz when you say 'the root dies', if so, how come when I pull my nasal hair out by the roots(with a small pointed pliers) they grow again just as quick as before?. Is it that cholesterol does not effect the nasal hair?, after all they are all on the head and the nose ain't too far from the scalp(at least on me).
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I refer to the first paragraph of you post Azz when you say 'the root dies', if so, how come when I pull my nasal hair out by the roots(with a small pointed pliers) they grow again just as quick as before?. Is it that cholesterol does not effect the nasal hair?, after all they are all on the head and the nose ain't too far from the scalp(at least on me).
You don't get cholesterol build up in the nose - but for some reason we do in our scalp, and it's a major factor for MBP (male baldness pattern).

Plucking out hair should actually help kill the root (that's why women prefer to wax than shave) - so if you do it enough the root should eventually die. Maybe your nose hair is super strong!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sweep ->
My Mum always used to say "if there was something wrong it will show in your hair".............

Well I have dandruff/flaky scalp does not itch & is not sore either( not had this since my 20's), also my hair seems to be slightly thin right at the front, my hairdresser seems to think Menopause symptom...anyone advise?
I would tend to agree with your hairdresser Sweep - it could likely be a symptom of the menopause. You don't say how old you are, but when I was well into my menopause I noticed my hair seemed thinner. You could try massaging the front where you seem to notice it thinner. For the flaky dryness perhaps a good dandruff shampoo would help clear it and then you could condition, condition, condition. I always use a combined shampoo/conditioner and the Pantene range seems to suit me.
I had a total hysterectomy about 18 months ago at 62 yrs of age and since all my bits have gone my hair thickness and condition has improved no end. This is why I wonder if your hair problem might be a hormonal thing. Hope things improve for you soon.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Thanks for that Azz. Yes the hair is pretty strong, I often think of growing it long and harvesting it for my earring fittings
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Every male of a certain age knows that hair gets lazy-it cannot get to the crown so makes base camps in the nose and around the ears
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Nasal, Pubic and Ear hair are completely different to head hair.

One stops growing at a certain length head hair does not.

If a man goes bald it only his head.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top