Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:25 PM

Charity Forms

I had a short trial for Saga Magazine and now it appears every month.
It is not exactly illunimating and comes complete with lots of Leaflets

This month's has four Charity leaflet forms.

They all require monthly donations the lowest price is £12,50.
£19 50 , £21.50, and £22.00.

There was a time when £5.00 was gratefully accepted .

If you look at their accounts online , you we find they all have £millions in the bank, also the Directors get more salary then the Prime Minister.

I do subscribe by D/D to two Charities that do not spend 75% of their donations on fancy offices and overheads.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:42 PM

Re: Charity Forms

I have some serious issues when it comes to charity. Its no longer a case of donating spare cash to a worthy cause to perhaps help someone. In many cases, its being part of a system used to exploit people for money.

I have read a lot of cases where people donate by phone and then end up on a suckers list where they are emotionally pressured to give more...and have their details passed around to other charities and the cycle continues. I find it almost offensive when said charities already have millions in assets and pay their top staff hundreds of thousands in salaries. Its also wrong when the high street "tin rattler" aggressively begs for money, only for a small percentage of that actually going to the "good cause", because they are a third-party agent acting for the charity on a percentage of the 'take'.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 12:51 AM

Azure, Am l right in thinking that many charities also own properties for their trustees to live in?

I wonder what percentage of the money goes to the cause after the charity executives/employees have been paid?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 05:06 AM

Wouldn't touch anything to do with Saga.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Wouldn't touch anything to do with Saga.
Why, Muddy?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 08:03 AM

Because of the nastiness of its thankfully defunct you know what .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 08:55 AM

It is reassuring to see a Charity Fundraiser out there, in the cold and wet, giving a bit of themselves in the process, not Emailing or organizing Mailshots.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I have some serious issues when it comes to charity. Its no longer a case of donating spare cash to a worthy cause to perhaps help someone. In many cases, its being part of a system used to exploit people for money.

I have read a lot of cases where people donate by phone and then end up on a suckers list where they are emotionally pressured to give more...and have their details passed around to other charities and the cycle continues. I find it almost offensive when said charities already have millions in assets and pay their top staff hundreds of thousands in salaries. Its also wrong when the high street "tin rattler" aggressively begs for money, only for a small percentage of that actually going to the "good cause", because they are a third-party agent acting for the charity on a percentage of the 'take'.
Totally agree.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

22-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Azure, Am l right in thinking that many charities also own properties for their trustees to live in?

I wonder what percentage of the money goes to the cause after the charity executives/employees have been paid?
Yes, Artangel you are right
The Major Charities are run like profitable Companies and much of the donations goes in expensive overheads, like huge salaries for senior staff and first class accommodation and travel

They have heavy investments in funding,and property too.

GOV UK publishes instructions.

'How to invest Charity money' and 'Get funding to start a Charity'

In some instances it is a License to Print Money.
So unfair.

In Mail on Line today, their is a break down of where Charity donations go. Can't seem to download it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 10:21 AM

I never give money apart from popping loose change into the pots in shops . I give my clothes ad bits and bobs to Sue Ryder hospice only . Many years ago I listened to a talk and met a wonderful lady who's name I cant remember was a consultant who worked in the hospices . I spent 4 days in their company . Apparantly at the time they only had a handful of hospices (10 yrs ago ) . She spoke of the work and the people with such love in her heart , also her husband was a researcher and scientist in cancer . They were truly dedicated as we're the staff .

I felt so touched by the genuine hearts of this couple it's the one I support

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top