Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Car parks

They are debating on the news this morning about the size of car parking spaces.
They finally seem to have realised that most of the car parks have totally inadequate, tiny spaces as there are so many big 4 x 4 type vehicles on the road now.

One lady emailed in to the programme and said she was 8 months pregnant and found it increasingly difficult to find a place where she could get her car door open enough to get out, which I think is a very valid comment.

There are usually wider spaces for Parent/child or Disabled, but if you don't fit into either of those, you are usually squashed by these huge vehicles that park right on the dividing lines.
They say 'Spaces are Revenue' in car parks that charge, so they are reluctant to lose income making them larger areas.

There are very few places round here with sensible size parking spaces. Do you sometimes have problems where you are?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:28 AM

Re: Car parks

Yes, Mups, have been out with friends and sometimes had to go three times round a car park to find a decent spece - and their car is quite small - a Mazda 2.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:35 AM

Our local sainsburys when they refitted changed the size of parking spaces and they now have double lines between spaces about six inches apart, that makes a huge difference and much easier to exit and enter a car parked within those boundaries no matter how big the car.

Needs more places to think like that IMO

They also donated land they planted and made paths around it giving the locals a lovely canal side walk very popular with dog walkers and young families getting to the play ground at the end of it.

I have a lot of time for our sainsburys they really put some effort into the community and made a big difference here.

They get bad press sometimes but people forget how good they have been to us.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:38 AM

I've noticed our local Sainsbury's, who are in the process of refurbishing their store, have also given their carpark a complete facelift including widening the carparking spaces. I think they have now realised there are bigger cars on the road
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:46 AM

If they do them like ours mags it's a great difference makes life much easier.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:42 AM

I prefer the chevron layout - anyone else?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:50 AM

We use a car park in Bramall once a week. One week the only space was severely limited by a typically selfish BMW driver who had left his car just over the white line, presumably in the hope that no-one would park next to him and damage his car.

I did - parked but didn't damage it - as close as I could get to his driver door. I had room to get out, of course, but the only way he'd get in would be to use the passenger side and clamber over to the driver's side.

When I returned, he was waiting to see who had had the temerity to invade his (double) space, and he was fuming! I think he might have been expecting a lady driver because when he saw that I was bigger than him the worst he could do was whinge! I politely pointed out the car park markings and suggested he use the parking bays as they were intended. He was still red in the face when I left.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
I prefer the chevron layout - anyone else?
Not keen if I need to open my boot I prefer to be in a normal bay, just feels safer as I can keep an eye on traffic and not turn my back entirely. It's amazing how many people don't seem to notice people putting things I the boot !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We use a car park in Bramall once a week. One week the only space was severely limited by a typically selfish BMW driver who had left his car just over the white line, presumably in the hope that no-one would park next to him and damage his car.

I did - parked but didn't damage it - as close as I could get to his driver door. I had room to get out, of course, but the only way he'd get in would be to use the passenger side and clamber over to the driver's side.

When I returned, he was waiting to see who had had the temerity to invade his (double) space, and he was fuming! I think he might have been expecting a lady driver because when he saw that I was bigger than him the worst he could do was whinge! I politely pointed out the car park markings and suggested he use the parking bays as they were intended. He was still red in the face when I left.
Well done JBR, I have to admit I do that to one of my neighbours who never pars within the lines of our communal carpark, I always think if I can do it anyone can so no excuse for him. He's often seen scrambling in from passenger side
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Car parks are a sore point with me this morning

I came out of Waitrose with a full trolley in the pouring rain. I couldn't get into the boot because a 4x4 had been parked so close to it and I couldn't get in the driver's side either because of another 4x4 so had to struggle around the car door to get the shopping on to the back seat then get in through the passenger door and slide over.

Monday morning must be Waitrose coffee morning for the local yummy mummy's with their huge 4X4's, with so many around now they could do with bigger spaces just for them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top