Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Cryonics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38012267

This is a tragic case, imo. There is no evidence at all that frozen dead bodies can be brought back to life in the future, when a cure is found for the illness from which the person died. Besides which the body could be accidently defrosted if the power source fails, or taken out of the programme if the relatives don't keep up the payments.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Re: Cryonics

Hi tarantula I think this whole procedure was more about carrying out the dying wishes of a young girl so that she could depart with some kind peace of mind that any intention that she would be revived at some time in the distant future.

Of course were she to be revived at some time in the future she would most likly be alone with family and friends gone and in an unrecognisable world. Not a happy prospect for any but the most adventurous.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 10:01 AM

I agree Tarantula, and even if they could prove it is possible to restore dead people, who would want to live in a world that was full of people from a different century? I can think of hundreds of problems that would occur, if Cryonics became something that all wanted to do. I don't think that bringing people back to life, so they can be cured of the illness they died from, is a good way to continue the human race..... especially as they would have no immunity to any possible new diseases.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi tarantula I think this whole procedure was more about carrying out the dying wishes of a young girl so that she could depart with some kind peace of mind that any intention that she would be revived at some time in the distant future.

Of course were she to be revived at some time in the future she would most likly be alone with family and friends gone and in an unrecognisable world. Not a happy prospect for any but the most adventurous.
It is a very expensive way to try to fulfil a promise. I would not consider it for any relative of mine, or myself.

You make a good point about it not being happy prospect, even if it was possible to bring her back to life, only to discover the world is so different and she knows no one!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 10:06 AM

IMO it's a wicked thing to promise, and a way for big money to pass hands.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 10:21 AM

This poor girl was thoroughly conned by a bunch of shysters no better than snake oil salesmen, and shame on her mother for not opposing it like her father....
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 10:41 AM

I dont think there should be cryonic centres....its a step too far in re-animating dead people....Frankensteins monsters. Ofc if theres big money to be made out of gullible people then it will turn into a booming market.
One life .....live it!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I dont think there should be cryonic centres....its a step too far in re-animating dead people....Frankensteins monsters. Ofc if theres big money to be made out of gullible people then it will turn into a booming market.
One life .....live it!!!

I'm inclined to agree with this Aysa, although I don't know enough about the science of it to comment more.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 12:01 PM

I would not be opposing the dying wishes of anyone especially not a 14 year old . If the thought that a cure may be found in the future who is anyone to argue with that if it gives her some comfort .
It's not something I would want myself but each to their own .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 12:31 PM

I listened to a programme about this, and they said that it is usually the brain that is preserved, not the body... so the person would not look like the original one. I don't know how true this is but I found the comment quite alarming!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top