Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 01:09 PM

Where have all the Tramps gone?

In Ryde Isle of Wight, we used to have a tramp. He was a lovely man, although he did smell a bit.
I was sad when I heard he passed away, as he was always there as I grew up.
In Chelmsford there were two tramps. I haven't seen any tramps for years. These tramps are people that choose to be homeless. How they survived, money wise, I do not know. They NEVER asked for money.

Do you have a tramp in your town?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 01:13 PM

Re: Where have all the Tramps gone?

I don't remember ever seeing a tramp.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 01:39 PM

Used to have a couple but sadly these days they wouldn't be tolerated I think that's why as they die off no one has taken their place. Laws changed to making their lives harsher. When I worked at the local village hall old Stan would stop off every six weeks or so and we'd give him a hot meal, bath and send him off with a jumble sale outfit, I think he had several places looked out for him like that. He died in winter of 1996 a chest infection turned to pneumonia which saw him off.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Used to have a couple but sadly these days they wouldn't be tolerated I think that's why as they die off no one has taken their place. Laws changed to making their lives harsher. When I worked at the local village hall old Stan would stop off every six weeks or so and we'd give him a hot meal, bath and send him off with a jumble sale outfit, I think he had several places looked out for him like that. He died in winter of 1996 a chest infection turned to pneumonia which saw him off.
That is sad.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 01:44 PM

I think he was happy he wouldn't have liked being in doors to live, and the pneumonia was a kindness really if he had lived longer he would have ended up in an oap home which he was really scared about.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 02:01 PM

We have one that I'll occasionally see wandering up and down the sidewalks on my drive home from work, not far from my house. Sometimes he's sitting in the grass. Sometimes lying on a bench. People in these parts have become accustomed to occasionally giving him food, clothing or money, which he never asks for, but is grateful to receive. One day, a few winters ago, I saw him wandering around in the cold with nothing on his hands, so I stopped and gave him my gloves. He was very happy and thankful and said "God bless" to me. I'm not religious (in fact I don't believe in any of that at all) but I still appreciated that from him.

He's an old man. Long hair and beard, much like Theo above. He's been around for many years and he manages to survive the winters. He must have shelter somewhere, but he doesn't spend too much time there, I'm guessing, because I see him wandering about most of the time or sleeping on the bench in front of a small convenience mart, as he's simply become part of the neighborhood. He has a basket he pushes around with him everywhere he goes. That basket is his whole life.

I can't imagine living that way. But after reading the short story above about Theo, it's possible that's how he wants it.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

10-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Thank -you for the story Linda. I like the stories.
Sweetie x
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 02:15 PM

I do too.

We also have beggars that hang out in the shopping areas as well, that not only stand around with signs begging for money, but they'll sometimes approach you. This man, however, never approaches anyone, but he graciously accepts what is given to him.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 02:17 PM

No fixed abode-I remember that from my days in a benefit office. Payed in cash. They were mostly harmless and still had a certain amount of self respect even though it was hard times sir.
Then Thatcher bit,and thugs ruled the underpasses.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 02:50 PM

There is one around here, he is very small with long hair.
I think sometimes used to get shelter at the convent until it closed.
He also likes a drink and I have seen him dancing a jig on a busy traffic roundabout

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top