Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2016, 10:10 PM

Google Spiders

Not sure where to put this question, so took the plunge in chat.

Just checking the who's online and saw Google Spider looking at a thread. What do they actually do? I've seen one before looking at the photo thread.
Does it (?) store information and if so, what does it do with it?

Am I right it's called a 'robot' which means it's an automatic computer or something?

edited
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2016, 10:12 PM

Re: Google Spiders

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Just checking the who's online and saw Google Spider looking at a thread. What do they actually do? I've seen one before looking at the photo thread.

Good question Pesta.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 12:36 AM

The spider
The first part of what Google does is crawl the web. I'll get onto that in a moment but there a few things we need to cover first. Whenever you read an SEO article, the verbs ‘crawl’ and ‘spider’ and (sometimes) ‘index’ are interchangeable. Google sends out what’s affectionately known as a ‘spider’ to ‘crawl’ the web, going from link to link creating a web (geddit?), and cataloging, or ‘indexing’ what it sees. If you wanted to mimic the actions of the Google spider, start at a big site, like Wikipedia, and click every link you see. Then go to those pages, and click every link and so on. Once you’ve clicked a few hundred billion pages, you’ll be somewhere close.

Google’s spider can only crawl linked pages by the way - it can only access pages that you could access with a mouse. It can’t enter in login details or passwords, and it can’t enter terms in your search bar. As a general rule, if your page isn’t accessible by a clickable link, Google probably won’t see it.

I found this on the net.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 12:55 AM

By 'eck Tiff, you're a clever gal!

I need to get my head round that a bit more.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Am I right it's called a 'robot' which means it's an automatic computer or something?

edited
How do you think Google is able to direct you to sites when you ask it a question? It isn't using Mr Google's psychic powers, it goes out and explores the WWW constantly.

These bots find the answers to questions you have yet to ask.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 05:39 AM

Well, bugger! I prefer to think Mr. Spider is working his little heart out spinning his web that will take me to where I wanna go!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2016, 09:48 AM

Pesta putting it simply, the spiders are mainly good spiders. They scan the site daily as part of the indexing process so that when people on the net search for certain words they are directed to appropriate sites.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top