Join for free
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 09:48 PM

Now Listen Up......It' a Scam.

Mrs Fox answered the telephone this morning to a voice telling her that someone had placed a complaint about us to HMRC and a writ would be issued. In order to challenge the writ she should press 'one' on her keypad to speak to our case manager. She put down the phone and in a state of panic reported to me. I dialled 1471 and the number that came up was:- 02030 954383

I immediately checked the number on the internet to discover hundreds of people had searched this number recently and it is some kind of a scam. The voice is very convincing, but I became suspicious when they didn't ask for me by name. I don't know how the scam would work but don't fall for it....And don't worry.....Just hang up.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Re: Now Listen Up......It' a Scam.

There was one going around saying folk were entitled to a tax rebate too, asking for details.
Thanks for the warning OGF.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
There was one going around saying folk were entitled to a tax rebate too, asking for details.
Thanks for the warning OGF.
It certainly fooled Mrs Fox Tessa....
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 10:09 PM

Unfortunately, OGF, many of us ladies can be taken in by these bastards. But over time we are getting suspicious of any calls that don't seem quite right. If I don't recognise the voice, or the name (if there is one given), I tell them straight away that they will have to excuse my non co-operation and tell them to "Piss off you nasty, miserable fraudster" and slam the phone down. This, fortunately doesn't happen very often because I am on the Telephone Preference List. But even so the odd one sneaks through, so I also dial 1471, get the number if it is available, then report it to the TP people. Apparently folk who go against the rules of the TP and take no notice, can get into bad trouble.

Anyway I enjoy being rude to people like that. That is all they deserve.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 10:16 PM

I don't take calls from anyone I don't know.
If I need something I do the making contact.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
Unfortunately, OGF, many of us ladies can be taken in by these bastards. But over time we are getting suspicious of any calls that don't seem quite right. If I don't recognise the voice, or the name (if there is one given), I tell them straight away that they will have to excuse my non co-operation and tell them to "Piss off you nasty, miserable fraudster" and slam the phone down. This, fortunately doesn't happen very often because I am on the Telephone Preference List. But even so the odd one sneaks through, so I also dial 1471, get the number if it is available, then report it to the TP people. Apparently folk who go against the rules of the TP and take no notice, can get into bad trouble.

Anyway I enjoy being rude to people like that. That is all they deserve.
Thanks for your reply Gilly, you sound fairly well equipped to deal with the scammers. I believe I am on the Telephone Preference List also but a few dodgy calls are still getting through, I didn't realise you could report the number to them if it's a bogus call.

Problem is with these kind of calls it makes you suspicious of all calls to your landline and very reluctant to answer, even genuine ones.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-11-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't take calls from anyone I don't know.
If I need something I do the making contact.
Good point Meg, if I haven't asked for it I would never buy or accept anything from a stranger on the telephone.
If I couldn't have invalidated this mornings call by checking the number on the internet I would have contacted HMRC to confirm. Same with my bank.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 11:12 PM

Yes, thanks for the warning OGF. Not had anything like that (yet).

If I'm home, I rarely pick up my phone now when it rings....I let it go to answerphone. If it's anyone I know starting to leave a message, I pick up, otherwise it goes on a/phone and is deleted.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top