Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Do you need a guard dog?

https://www.thelocal.es/20161026/bul...rd-in-valencia

Guard dogs were not proving enough of a deterrent to thieves at a car breakers yard in eastern Spain so the owner has brought in a pair of fighting bulls.

After a summer that saw seven separate break-ins at his second hand auto parts business in the Valencian town of Montserrat, Emilio Cerveró decided he needed to review his security measures.

He complained that thieves had repeatedly cut the fence into the premises to release his guard dogs and four had been killed since the start of the summer.

So he has now released a pair of toro bravos – the Spanish breed of bull used in bullfighting – to roam the property in the hope of deterring any intruders.

Cerveró complains that the robberies started when part of his land was expropriated by the council to build a new road and his perimeter wall was replaced with a flimsy wire fence.

“The bulls can roam around freely in the yard and let’s hope they do their job,” he told Spanish television news La Sexta. “All I am trying to do is protect my property”.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Re: Do you need a guard dog?

Geese that's what he needs, anyone been chased by angry geese will agree I'm sure
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:40 PM

I should think a couple of bulls would do the job, but seems a bit extreme for me - I don't think I would bother - too much s..t to clear up with bulls. I have two dogs, but they are not guard dogs, although they do hear if anything is happening long before I do and go to investigate.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Geese that's what he needs, anyone been chased by angry geese will agree I'm sure
Yes Julie the ancient Romans used Geese to gaurd their camps at night so they must be good.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I should think a couple of bulls would do the job, but seems a bit extreme for me - I don't think I would bother - too much s..t to clear up with bulls. I have two dogs, but they are not guard dogs, although they do hear if anything is happening long before I do and go to investigate.
Perhaps he's also growing roses the poop would probably make them flower well
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:26 PM

A friend in South Africa tells me that it is very common for people to throw meat,over the fence, to your dog and it is drugged so that the dog goes into a deep sleep while they rob your home. Sometimes the dogs die because they don't measure the amount of the drugs they use.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:34 PM

Geese have always been a good guard....goose?? I don't think I have the room for two fighting bulls though.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
A friend in South Africa tells me that it is very common for people to throw meat,over the fence, to your dog and it is drugged so that the dog goes into a deep sleep while they rob your home. Sometimes the dogs die because they don't measure the amount of the drugs they use.
That was pretty common here a few years ago, along with spraying acid in the dogs faces. Fortunately we don't seem to hear about such things these days.

It wouldn't be of much use offering a bull a piece of drugged meat would it?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->

I would guess that the difference there is, you are usually there with your dogs Aerolor, those at the scrap yard are no doubt left alone while the owner goes home at night. Could this be correct clumsy?

I am not positive on this, but I believe quite a few years ago it became illegal to have guard dogs loose on premises without a handler. Also, the bloke clumsy says about is probably lucky his dogs weren't thrown some poisoned bait.
Many people stick their dogs on a chain and expect it to bark, but burglars know the animal is chained and can't get at them, they can only make noise, but if no one is living on the premises who's to hear them?

What are the bulls supposed to eat all day - scrap metal?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

That is true Julie, some males especially are likely to be very aggressive, more often during the breeding season when their 'wives' have nests or youngsters.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top