Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Kindle

Anyone used one of these? I never thought I would be interested in them as I love the feel and presence of books. But am considering it for travelling, to reduce luggage weight - I usually have at least half a dozen books to take with me. I'd be interested to hear any pros and cons.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Re: Kindle

I have wondered about this. Is it too much to hope it comes with many books ready loaded and then they update with new ones according to what you want, or do you have to subscribe and then buy book downloads to put on it. As you can tell - I've got no idea
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 02:28 PM

If you read a lot, then I think it's definitely worth it
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Thats funny I was thinking of asking the same question!

I was reading reviews on Amazon and someone has actually posted a movie? starting from when he first took it out of the box to exploring the functions and comparing it to a different make. It looks very impressive. The books are quite reasonable to buy too.

I like the sound of them, although I do love my books. I was considering getting the more expensive ones for when I am caravanning, I would be able to send and receive e-mails and not feel so cut off when the mobile battery goes! I usually take a whole load of books too so would save a lot of weight.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 08:52 PM

I am a book lover and a regular library user, but I too have toyed with the thought of getting one. During our February blizzards I was snowed in for days unable to get to the library; drove me mad! As I understand it, it comes unloaded, you buy and download what you want.

There is a waiting list here on Amazon: you pre-order. I suspect that will be my Christmas present to myself.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 08:56 PM

Thanks for that Dandysmom - Do you know how much a download might cost.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 09:03 PM

I think it's $9.99 here in the States ..... Google it, Kindle, most questions will be covered.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Anyone used one of these? I never thought I would be interested in them as I love the feel and presence of books. But am considering it for travelling, to reduce luggage weight - I usually have at least half a dozen books to take with me. I'd be interested to hear any pros and cons.
If you have a laptop or netbook there's a free software application from Amazon.com called Kindle For PC that allows computer users to read Kindle formatted books. Kindle books are nearly half the price of the same books in paper form and you save a tree.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2010, 09:04 AM

But will it survive in my pocket along with a slobbery Ball and some soggy dog biscuits on our daily hike across Essex? I doubt it, somehow.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

25-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Probably, they're sturdy; put it in a plastic sleeve if you're concerned!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top