Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Homes under the hammer

Just been watching that annoying programme Homes under the hammer.
People buy houses refurb them in three weeks or thereabouts for 20k or some such and flog me on for much larger amounts .
Yet the price of putting on a simple extension in my area is prohibitive .
Are these privces out of date ,inaccurate or they are all diy Experts as well as very fast workers?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Re: Homes under the hammer

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Just been watching that annoying programme Homes under the hammer.
People buy houses refurb them in three weeks or thereabouts for 20k or some such and flog me on for much larger amounts .
Yet the price of putting on a simple extension in my area is prohibitive .
Are these privces out of date ,inaccurate or they are all diy Experts as well as very fast workers?
Most of them are several years old, I think, but it doesn't tell you 'til the end
I find that seriously annoying.

A fair number of the initial buyers are developers, builders, etc. and they all seem to have 'experts' in their families
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Most of the tv programmes are repeats and it`s more about entertainment than reality. It feeds dreams.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 01:08 PM

I don't think they do all that many extensions. More like internal work - knocking walls down etc.

My brother in law has made his money from buying & selling houses. The only difference is that they live in it for a year before moving on to the next. It also helps that he does a lot of the work himself - fitting kitchens, new windows etc..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 03:15 PM

These programmes cost a lot of people a lot of money back in the day. They were prevalent during the great property boom where housing prices just kept rising. The programmes portrayed the situation like it was an absolute doddle to buy an old house wreck, do it up and sell on for massive profit. In reality, the truth was that most of the examples were actually loss making. The people vastly underestimated the amount of money needed to do the property up to a reasonable standard and were mostly unable to plan properly or control builders. The examples nevertheless were shown to make great profits and that was solely because the overall price of housing was rising all the time.

When the housing bubble finally burst, a lot of people were left high and dry. They found themselves stuck with properties that they couldn't sell on fast enough and so were paying out mortgage payments every month for them. They lost a ton of money.

The whole renovation caper only works if you have a lot of ready capital to spend and if you have established a raft of working links with tradesmen whom you know, trust and will deliver for you. There are tons of professional renovators and developers constantly picking off the best opportunities even before they get advertised. Thus anything the ordinary Joe Public sees for sale will already have been analysed and rejected by the professionals as not being worth the trouble.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Has the housing bubble burst ?
It certainly hasn't around where I live houses prices have ridden dramatically this year alone.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 03:49 PM

It happens here in parts. Greedy lot - No I am going, before I get mad.
Don't do mad on Saturdays.
Sweetie x
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 04:09 PM

When this programme started we loved it often showed couples starting out, getting an old house doing it up, they'd be told the new price but loved it so much they wanted to stay forever. Then the property developers looking to rent out a property came along, we carried on watching because occasionally we saw a real home made and the owner occupied the house. But that became fewer and fewer, we gave up in the end, around about the same time we realised we would never be able to move from here. Seems a sad programme to us, taking cheap properties and making them too expensive for first time buyers.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Has the housing bubble burst ?
It certainly hasn't around where I live houses prices have ridden dramatically this year alone.
I don't think it hss.

The house 'renovators' on this programme must be using cheap labour.
I wouldn't do the work for the prices/budget quoted by the buyers.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2016, 04:40 PM

Most buyers on this programme do the minimum shoddy work themselves, then rent it out to other folks who don't give a toss about the standard of workmanship. imo.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top