Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Letters

Do you keep any old letters, love letters or ones that mean something to you?
I had a couple of love letters I had for years, then decided to chuck them as in hindsight the guy wasn't that important in my life.
I do like to read old letters, especially ones from soldiers to their loved ones during the wars.
It's sad, that we don't write them now, who's going to go through our emails and texts when we've passed and shed a tear?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Re: Letters

I have saved all my husband's letters, he used to leave little notes hidden around the house and sent a letter a day when away
Many are beautifully written and I thought my grandchildren might enjoy reading them one day. They never knew him .
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 08:47 AM

I have not written a letter for ages and isn't it surprising how you lose your writing ability mine is awful now almost as bad as a Doctors.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 08:54 AM

I have never saved letters, (in fact, I don't think I have ever received an actual Love letter) but I have saved a few Christmas cards from family that have passed on and they go on display every Christmas.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:01 AM

I used to keep logs of my wildlife trips, and add little bits of extra tidbits to liven them up, not a great letter person, as i am not great with grammar or spelling, and my handwriting is appalling.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Do you keep any old letters, love letters or ones that mean something to you?
I had a couple of love letters I had for years, then decided to chuck them as in hindsight the guy wasn't that important in my life.
I do like to read old letters, especially ones from soldiers to their loved ones during the wars.
It's sad, that we don't write them now, who's going to go through our emails and texts when we've passed and shed a tear?
My husband and I chucked out all the letters we sent each other, when we were 'courting'. We are not sentimental about such things.
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:16 AM

I've still got one tiny love note from someone who was very special to me. I had more letters but chucked them, only keeping this one as it folds easily into a part of m purse
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have never saved letters, (in fact, I don't think I have ever received an actual Love letter) but I have saved a few Christmas cards from family that have passed on and they go on display every Christmas.
I do that with Christmas cards too, one year after moving house I couldn't find them, I got quite emotional about it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I do that with Christmas cards too, one year after moving house I couldn't find them, I got quite emotional about it.
I know what you mean. Every year I put them with the decorations but then struggle to find them the next year. I am always worried in case they have been thrown out by mistake. It's nice though isn't it, it's like they are there with you at Christmas.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 09:52 AM

Slightly off topic, but never mind.

It took me a long time to sort out my mothers belongings untilone day I was left with just her diaries.
I was reading about a person I didnt really know as well as I thought. She fought Dementia, tooth & nail for five years. peppering her entries with everyday stuff & in amongst all of that the pleas to die.
I was choked to read entries like "Where am I?" Who am I ?" "I want to go home"
Ah memories
We saw her everyday , she refused to leave her home & she amazingly just about coped, with additional support from social services.

She had a wicked sense of humour & a razor sharp wit, perfect hearing & eyesight.
And a dark side, unforgiving & bleak.

At the end she melted holding her hands up and smiling towards my dad, who passed on 12 years earlier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top