Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:04 PM

How Do You Handle It?

There l was, lying innocently, flat on my back, sunglasses in place when this woman wearing a mask and a protective plastic eye shield came towards me and she was well tooled up. Next, another woman in uniform and wearing plastic goggles is towering above me shoving this water gushing instrument into my mouth...
Yes, you've guessed, another day at the dentist and there l am lying there at their mercy having a check up and scale and polish!
'At any time, you want me to stop, just hold your hand up' says the well tooled one!
Those words started a thread of thoughts in my mind....Does anyone ask a dentist to stop? How do people take this Scale and polish treatment? Maybe l should relax and just take it but I clench my hands, tighten my feet and pray it will be soon over!
She finishes the treatment and l say, 'Did l have a boy or a girl?'
I am so relieved when my Scale and Polish is over for another six months. At NHS price of £19.70, l can't complain, it's a bargain really!

Do you enjoy your Scale and Polish, or are you like me dread it? What do you pay?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:09 PM

Re: How Do You Handle It?

I don't mind it, I wouldn't say it was enjoyable but it's not tortuous.
I like the clean teeth feeling afterwards.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
There l was, lying innocently, flat on my back, sunglasses in place when this woman wearing a mask and a protective plastic eye shield came towards me and she was well tooled up. Next, another woman in uniform and wearing plastic goggles is towered above me shoving this water gushing instrument into my mouth...
Yes, you've guessed, another day at the dentist and there l am lying there at their mercy having a check up and scale and polish!
'At any time, you want me to stop, just hold your hand up' says the well tooled one!
Those words started a thread of thoughts in my mind....Does anyone ask a dentist to stop? How do people take this Scale and polish treatment? Maybe l should relax and just take it but I clench my hands, tighten my feet and pray it will be soon over!
I am so relieved when my Scale and Polish is over for another six months. At NHS price of £19.70, l can't complain, it's a bargain really!

Do you enjoy your Scale and Polish, or are you like me dread it?
I have that joy tomorrow morning, when I have my 6 monthly check up.

I have a dental plan which costs nearly £20 per month, but at least I know if I have a problem I can been seen immediately, even if it is a bank holiday, which is great!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:14 PM

Poor old Art, not particularly pleasant is it.

Never mind, its all done now for another 6 months, and think how much worse it would be if you neglected your pegs.

It's my turn this Thursday.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't mind it, I wouldn't say it was enjoyable but it's not tortuous.
I like the clean teeth feeling afterwards.
Yes, TessA, I agree about the teeth feeling clean after but it's when that scaler thing goes near a nerve, it's horrible.
Honestly, l really would prefer to have a baby than have dental treatment! Thing is, l probably wouldn't have a tooth in my head!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:17 PM

There l was, lying innocently, flat on my back, sunglasses in place when this woman wearing a mask and a protective plastic eye shield came towards me and she was well tooled up. Next, another woman in uniform and wearing plastic goggles is towered above me shoving this water gushing instrument into my mouth...

Art I got over my fear of Dentists when a very handsome one asked me for a date..,. about 25 years ago.
However, that is not always the best method for getting over your fear so try.....going in there and feeling like you are in charge (which you are). Tell them something nice or amusing when you go in... they feel more guilty if they hurt you when you have been nice to them. It is also good to remember that, when you come out of the dentist, it won't be him that gets admired for you gleaming smile... but it may be another handsome chap!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:17 PM

There l was, lying innocently, flat on my back, sunglasses in place when this woman wearing a mask and a protective plastic eye shield came towards me and she was well tooled up. Next, another woman in uniform and wearing plastic goggles is towering above me shoving this water gushing instrument into my mouth...

I would enjoy it more if it only cost that much .
All the dentists I know class it as a scale and polish which varies between £44 -£ 64.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:18 PM

Yes, TessA, I agree about the teeth feeling clean after but it's when that scaler thing goes near a nerve, it's horrible.
Honestly, l really would prefer to have a baby than have dental treatment! Thing is, l probably wouldn't have a tooth in my head!
My dentist told me this amusing story. An elderly lady, who was scared of dentists, told him as he was doing her check up that she would sooner have a baby than dental treatment. He said he would turn the dental chair around and oblige her!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:18 PM

I had my scale and polish last week and it was as usual torture! We have no such 'stop' signals in our surgery so I just brace myself and hope it will soon be over. We even have to pay upfront these days, I guess they've had a few made a hasty retreat without paying!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Hi

I don't see what the problem is.

Just take them out and rinse them like everyone else.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top