Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 03:12 PM

Puff Balls

Have any of you ever tried eating the Giant Puff Balls that you sometimes see growing in the woods or fields? I have known about these for years but never tried them until recently. I was out walking my dog Henry when i happened to see a puff ball in a field it was quite large and pure white i took it home run it under the tap peeled it and cut it into pieces and fried it the following day with the egg and bacon and it was bloody lovely tasted just like a normal mushroom. I have since found a few more and they are in containers in the freezer after being partly cooked.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 03:23 PM

Re: Puff Balls

There are some in the field next to my house the size of footballs
They come every year of a piece of rough pasture which is scraped bare in the winter by badgers searching for earthworms I don't know if there is a connection .

I have been tempted to try them but as the field is full of scabby poorly looked after and sometimes dead sheep I don't really fancy them .
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
They come every year of a piece of rough pasture which is scraped bare in the winter by badgers searching for earthworms I don't know if there is a connection .

I have been tempted to try them but as the field is full of scabby poorly looked after and sometimes dead sheep I don't really fancy them .
Do try them Meg but only if they are white, just wash and peel they are really nice. I fry mine till they turn brown and crispy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Do try them Meg but only if they are white, just wash and peel they are really nice. I fry mine till they turn brown and crispy.
The ones in the field are a bit passed it now Doc they have been there for a few weeks.
I might try them next year .....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 05:55 PM

I have heard they are good to eat, but im a bit wary of funghi.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I have heard they are good to eat, but im a bit wary of funghi.
Me too Nom, being a townie I can't tell the difference between a mushroom and a fungi
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

22-10-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Me too Nom, being a townie I can't tell the difference between a mushroom and a fungi
Hi Mags there are some very good little pocket books all about different types of Fungi and how to tell good from bad.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Hi Mags there are some very good little pocket books all about different types of Fungi and how to tell good from bad.
Thanks Doc but I still think I would have doubts when it came to tasting it
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 08:12 PM

I love puffballs and have them often - when they are about - haven't seen any this year in the usual places though.

Another good one to try is Shaggy Ink Cap - but - do not drink alchol for at least 24hours afterward or you wwill be very sick !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I always thought the Puffballs were poisonous!
Shows how much I know.

Edited to show this from Wiki:

While most puffballs are not poisonous, some often look similar to young agarics, especially the deadly Amanitas, such as the death cap or destroying angel mushrooms. It is for this reason that all puffballs gathered in mushroom hunting should be cut in half lengthwise. Young puffballs in the edible stage, before maturation of the gleba, have undifferentiated white flesh within; whereas the gills of immature Amanita mushrooms can be seen if they are closely examined.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top