Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 11:04 PM

Rattus Norvegicus

Ok Rattus Norvegicus , anybody got one, this is getting personal.

One or more has taken up residence outside my conservatory door and my wife is not happy. This afternoon I got a good look at him, cheeky little confident sod. Thought "Oh Mate" you are making a nice target if the gun was handy. It got personal after he bit into my pond pump lead, costing me £176 for a new pump. Yes sod's law, I replaced the pump before I noticed the gnawed cable.
So tonight I brought a array of traps, yes I know it will be a waste of time as they are clever little buggers. Around the stables poison is put down but this one is living around my pond and I don't want expensive fish eating it
As I posted the cat has been put down, give it fair due the cat did catch it , but it beat the cat up, being past its time.
So now I need to know a good enticing bait, perhaps the unused cat food?
Anybody got any ideas before pump two gets attacked and Rattus Norvegicus urine gets into the pond which is very infectious
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 11:17 PM

Re: Rattus Norvegicus

I'll send you a parcel of my wife's cooking.
Ratty will not have to eat it, the looks alone will kill........
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 12:30 AM

Ring a pest control person and get advice ?

As I understand it, they are incredibly helpful.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Ok Rattus Norvegicus , anybody got one, this is getting personal.

One or more has taken up residence outside my conservatory door and my wife is not happy. This afternoon I got a good look at him, cheeky little confident sod. Thought "Oh Mate" you are making a nice target if the gun was handy. It got personal after he bit into my pond pump lead, costing me £176 for a new pump. Yes sod's law, I replaced the pump before I noticed the gnawed cable.
So tonight I brought a array of traps, yes I know it will be a waste of time as they are clever little buggers. Around the stables poison is put down but this one is living around my pond and I don't want expensive fish eating it
As I posted the cat has been put down, give it fair due the cat did catch it , but it beat the cat up, being past its time.
So now I need to know a good enticing bait, perhaps the unused cat food?
Anybody got any ideas before pump two gets attacked and Rattus Norvegicus urine gets into the pond which is very infectious
Hi

Mice are easy to trap, very inquisitive.

Rats are very suspicious, so can take days to even go near a trap.

Cat food is a good bait.

If you do get another cable chewed, these are much cheaper than a new pump.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/teetube-ip...le-joint/92911
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Dukey, l can't understand why you are spending money on traps and bait when your local authority will come out and do it for free!
I keep hens and get rats now and again. I ring up the Environmental Health department and they send a pest control man who puts bait boxes down. There is no charge for rats but there is for mice.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Mice are easy to trap, very inquisitive.

Rats are very suspicious, so can take days to even go near a trap.

Cat food is a good bait.

If you do get another cable chewed, these are much cheaper than a new pump.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/teetube-ip...le-joint/92911
Sods law last time Swims. I checked the pump which just jump a odd turn now and again so assumed it was knackered . So disconnected it and cut the cable off at the pump end and put the pump into the dustbin on collection day Sods Law. It was not until I coiled the cable up that I noticed the bite marks , breaking the neutral, lucky little sod Last year a ruddy squirrel bit through the gas feed, that cost me, saying that I also cut through it once with the hedge cutter!
Expect I will call them out Art, again Main problem is Rats wee carries very nasty things which can be transferred into pond water and then to humans, the reason why at some fishing waters open cuts should be covered.
Now have to take wifey to the dentist, more expense
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 11:01 AM

Rats-walking pissing shit animals. But I could not kill one-did too much of that in a previous life. They make great pets-and how sick is that? I had one who actually liked to have his ears and tummy stroked-his relations were gassed by me.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

10-10-2016, 01:44 PM

My Council want £30 to come out, was free So game on
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 02:23 PM

But is it a ratus ratus?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
But is it a ratus ratus?
Rastus the country mouse was one of Rupert Bears playmates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top