Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 12:50 AM

After the honeymoon

'Experts' say the honeymoon period of a marriage lasts for 13 months and one week.
Becoming too comfortable around each other and the initial excitement wearing off, are the two top reasons it ends.
People also said not bothering to look good for partners, and bickering more often, are the biggest tell-tale signs the honeymoon period has passed.

Seven out of ten believe listening to music is the best way to rekindle things though.
2,000 married Brits took part in the survey.

Any truth in this do you think?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:21 AM

Re: After the honeymoon

Yes, I believe there's a lot of truth in the findings. People mistake lust and physical attraction for love and leap into marrying without really knowing the other person. We tend to be on our best behaviour when we first meet as well - and who would admit to any bad habits or moral weakness? Once the initial excitement and sexual thrills wear off and the day to day routine settles in I think some people are left wondering what the hell they've done, and that they're stuck with this person forever.

Worst of all - and I've never understood this - they immediately start reproducing even before they've got used to being a couple, and start off another generation of messed up dysfunctional people into the world.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:03 AM

Being content with yourself, is probably key to longevity, post the Honeymoon period.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:07 AM

And realizing there ain't no Santa Claus helps.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:20 AM

My ex and i had very different tastes in music, so cant confirm the musical rekindling aspect. As for the honeymoon period we were Siamese twins for the first year, and i guess we progressed as a normal couple after that.

I seem to remember or first aurgment involved the MIL interfering.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Reality set in very quickly after we married in 1969. I was 19 and had only visited the UK a few times on holiday, but there I was married and living in a village in Derbyshire. My English husband had his first teaching post in the nearby town. I found the strong northern accent very hard to understand so did he! A month after we married I discovered I was pregnant, so one had to knuckle down and get on with it, which we have been doing for 47 years.

A good job the romantic bit was never us, we have certainly not had time for it over the years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 09:08 AM

At the beginning of a relationship there is a lot of looking into each other's eyes and a lot of ripping each other's clothes off. For me, the looking lasted about a year and the ripping for around five years. Then came the genuine love and caring which has lasted twenty years and still working. As we get older we change physically and mentally and it's dealing with that which is the real thing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Our third year was the stresser, we were on best behaviour and learning about each other first two. But we sat down realised what was happening and decided we loved each other enough to make it work. Since that blip we have always sat down each year and talked about anything that is bothering us it's worked well for us. But that third year was when we realised we knew each other
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
At the beginning of a relationship there is a lot of looking into each other's eyes and a lot of ripping each other's clothes off. For me, the looking lasted about a year and the ripping for around five years. Then came the genuine love and caring which has lasted twenty years and still working. As we get older we change physically and mentally and it's dealing with that which is the real thing.

Lovely post Longdoggy.

I also think Eccles makes some good points too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 01:40 PM

I think once you have babies, things change? You become mumsy and he becomes dadsy! You're always tired or too busy.
Besides, baby sick on your shoulder or down your front isn't exactly 'turn on'!
As time goes on, familiarity breeds contempt and you end up like brother and sister!
Well, that's how l found it!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top