Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 12:44 AM

Fish 'Accent' studies

I saw in the paper that a Professor Steve Simpson,marine biologist, believes Cod off the Cornwall coast sound different to those at Liverpool, and the language barrier might damage breeding prospects!
He has now been given £300,000 of taxpayers money to study whether Cod "speak" with regional accents!

With the aid of microphones places on the sea bed, he hopes to be able to identify 10 cod 'accents' - Brighton, Plymouth, Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow, John O'Groats, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Ipswich and Southend.

If his project is a success the Professor may extend his study to see if Haddock also have regional dialects!

Why?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 12:51 AM

Re: Fish 'Accent' studies

I believe its common for fish to have differing accents, even language.

One good example is Pike....Pikey
Another is carp,,,carping on,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 12:57 AM

Sorry, don't understand? The only meaning of 'Pikey' I know is a sort of slang word for Gypsies.

Even if this professor bloke is right, what difference could accents make to fishes mating habits?
Does he think these fish have a long and meaningful conversation before mating?

Seems utterly bonkers to me.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry, don't understand? The only meaning of 'Pikey' I know is a sort of slang word for Gypsies.

Even if this professor bloke is right, what difference could accents make to fishes mating habits?
Does he think these fish have a long and meaningful conversation before mating?

Seems utterly bonkers to me.
Some people think they are natural born comedians and have to try to be funny at every opportunity.
Of course you are correct, it is out and out rubbish and a complete waste of time and money.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 05:44 AM

Better than being a natural born moaner and humourless bore.

Having said that I'm impressed that you've formed a coherent sentence using more than four words......for a change.

6/10
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 06:36 AM

The study could have value because cod from the south are being driven north to find the colder waters that are more suitable for them. An effect happening as a result of the seas warming in the south.

Behavioural knowledge about the cod 'tribes' based on language or any other differences ..and whether they will breed with each other or not is likely to make a difference to the overall cod stocks in the seas. This in turn presumably making a difference to fishing quotas and whether we get cod to eat or not.

Now for a few jokey remarks.

Good cod! Whatever next!
Will there be racial issues with cod?
Maybe the cod will all have to go to fish language 'schools'.
What a load of Pollocks!

Got to be more.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:24 AM

Its been found some birds have regional accents, studies like this can have impact due to the possible effect on species populations in the future.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 07:47 AM

The money would have been better spent, setting up a refuge for battered Fish.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 08:44 AM

If his project is a success the Professor may extend his study to see if Haddock also have regional dialects!
Why?
Mups I would guess it could prove useful for tracing distributions patterns of fish particularly if water temperatures change with global warming.

We tag birds to observe their migratory patterns which helps us to understand their behaviour and the decline in some species which in turn can affect other species in a delicately balanced eco system.
I see the data wich could be obtained from this research as something similar.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The money would have been better spent, setting up a refuge for battered Fish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top