Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:12 AM

Friends and Neighbours

We consider ourselves very lucky with friends and neighbours. In England we had good neighbours, they were, well still are good friends, they live over here now, about an hourīs drive away. Our closest friends in England now live 5 minutes walk away from us.

In Africa we also made some good friends, they moved here a couple of years after us. Here in Spain we have acquired good friends of varying nationalities. Not all speak English or Spanish, but it doesnīt really matter, one way or another we all manage to make ourselves understood. We all help each other out when needed however we can.

Since my friend died almost 2 weeks ago, we have had a constant stream of friends and neighbours coming over to offer condolences and wanting to know if there was anything they could do to help. They all knew how close my friend and I were. Her eldest son told me that his mother had the happiest and best social life here in her 3 years than she had in Finland and Germany for 30 years. Her family became like my own family in the time we have known them.

This morning I was reminded of just how lucky we are to have such lovely people around us, because apart from the odd one or two the majority are pleasant, kind and helpful, no matter what nationality they are. It really is a nice place to be.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:23 AM

Re: Friends and Neighbours

We have good neighbours and a very respectable neighbourhood. As for friends, we have a handful we made when much younger, but have many friendly acquaintances.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Apart from one or two our neighbours are great. Sadly the one or two seem to be more dominant than the rest of us.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 03:52 PM

We have been lucky with our neighbours, all have been friendly & are now friends. I feel for people who can't get on with theirs. Two things you can't chose, relatives & neighbours.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 04:09 PM

The lovely old couple next door to me died , we are a group of 6 small terraced houses , now it's up for sale , I'm hoping it will be to a nice family or quiet young couple . I'm eagerly watching the estate agents coming in the hope of getting a glimpse of my new neighbours . We do hear horror stories of neighbours and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another lovely neighbour .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 05:23 PM

I had great neighbours at my last address but that was it,they were neighbours.

There was enough space between the house to retain privacy.

Although I've owned the house I'm now in for over 16 years I'm only just getting to know them as they've changed in the years I wasn't living here.

I prefer my social life and friends to be separate to neighbourly relationships.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Perhaps it's different when you move to another country where initially you don't know anyone, where anything is, what the system is etc. This is when the people around you become friends, no matter what their nationality. I've been very grateful for the help given to us and the friendships that have been formed.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Perhaps it's different when you move to another country where initially you don't know anyone, where anything is, what the system is etc. This is when the people around you become friends, no matter what their nationality. I've been very grateful for the help given to us and the friendships that have been formed.
It's probably me, clumsy.
I must admit to knowing my neighbour's in Spain better than those here.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 07:30 PM

There's a couple who live 2 bungalows along and it turned out the chap worked under my dad in the bobbies. He often used to reminisce with me about various incidents and the trouble he got into

Anyway they had 2 dogs. Always barking.
Then last year one of the dogs died.
The other dog quietened down and rarely barked. Peace.

Now, sadly, the chap is in a hospice. All of a sudden there are two new dogs plus the original dog. The original dog has gone back to barking along with the 2 new dogs.
So that's 1 dog barking and 2 yapping.

Plus next door their daughter has moved back in for a while, with her dog. Guess what....yes, it barks too, but at least the parents tell it to be quiet if it starts.

Never really had any bad neighbours, just the occasional party types, which was a bit of a pain.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 08:51 PM

I have lovely neighbours, so helpful, my OH is not into DIY at all so the neighbour and his drill come in very handy. His lovely wife grows fuschias and supplies all my plants for hanging baskets and tubs.
The rest of the cul de sac help one another and we do our bit if we can - a bit like it used to be years ago, I think.
But we're not in and out of each others houses, they are neighbours not friends as such.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top