Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Have you any antiques?

I have a wooden pew from a monastery sale, which my mother acquired in 1952 when I was two. It was kept by the front door when I was a child, I can remember sitting on it swinging my legs, as have my children and grandchildren. It is now in our hall. It is very old and has the head of an ancient king, possibly one of the Henrys, carved on the back of it. My Dad had it valued about 30 years ago and it was worth about £2000 then. I suppose I must get it valued sometime. I have promised it to our eldest when I kick the bucket.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Re: Have you any antiques?

Old things not what would be considered antique I don't think. That's the beauty of buying second hand you get a houseful of old stuff
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:08 PM

yes a Circa 1811-1825 English Banjo Barometer .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Yes, mostly small silver or plated items, plus a mahogany sewing box/table.
Forgot my folding wooden cake stand & my writing slope..
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:31 PM

My family inherited a lot of old china and ornaments from an old lady, a French relative of my father. My mother didn't like most of it and would have 'little accidents' from time to time. A similar ornament to the one Mum broke was featured on the Antiques Road show once, it was worth in the region of £2000, WHOOPS!

When I was eleven my Dad decided to empty our attic, which hadn't been cleared in a 100 years or so. He didn't bother to check what his staff were chucking out, and items including a four poster bed and a large family Bible dating back to the early 19th century, were put on the bonfire. I wasn't ever permitted in the attic, but of course I used to be a frequent visitor! I might have said something about the Bible, which was probably worth some money, but would have got one of my frequent thrashings for disobeying orders!

A box of ammunition, left over from the German Occupation of our home during WW2, was also put on the bonfire, which was in one of our fields some distance from our house. BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one was hurt fortunately
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:33 PM

I do love your 'stories'
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:43 PM

Just some old bottles and pot lids. Mostly Victorian but a couple of late eighteenth century items.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:48 PM

Hi

Yes, a considerable collection of porcelain, most of it Royal Worcester and early Coalport.

I have some Sevres and Meissen. two pieces of Paris.

My Ex took the Marie Antoinette monogrammed cup, saucer and plate when she left.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:52 PM

I have some Winnie the Pooh books first editions dated 1926/8 but not in mint condition and a black silk shawl which belonged to my grandmother .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 04:56 PM

The family Bible may not have been worth nothing Tarantula,only sentimental value .
The Church i went to wanted to raise money by a book sale and asked for donations , i was most surprised to see family Bibles donated with all the names dating back many years generations . .No one bought them or wanted them ..
I have a Bible which belonged to an old Aunt along with photos which i can not bring myself to get rid of .
One of the photos are of the Aunt with Jimmy Saville when he was doing his charity runs .

just remembered the old writing box also with secret draws and compartment , which held queen victoria coins .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top