Join for free
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Smoking

Hi All

This may have been covered before, but does anybody still smoke and if so how many and have you tried to give up?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Re: Smoking

I smoked for years from I was aged 13 (before that as well) I stopped just before my Mum died (she never knew I smoked) but when my big brother died, I started again - I smoked about 60-70 cigs (same as I was the first time round). I couldn't afford it, second time round, so just stopped! I loved smoking and smoked right down to the very end, holding the end in a pin to get the very last draw out of it!! I smoked untipped ciggies, sometimes Capstan full strength! Ah those were the days! I don't have the craving now but I do still miss it!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2010, 08:36 PM

I smoked for 42 years and gave it up in September last year for health reasons. Unfiltered roll-ups for most of that. Today, one year later I feel so much better for it, should have done it years ago. I tried the patches, gum, tablets and an inhaler without success. Then Champix with the help of our local smoke-stop nurse which did it. Not easy by any means, you have to really want to give up.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2010, 09:03 PM

I had my last one on 28th December 2006 and promised my other half i'd not have another and I haven't.. It now turns on me and I hate the stench.I smoked from when I was about 14 but gave up when I was expecting the children only to start again a while after each was born. The final straw was being hospitalised with pneumonia and severe chickenpox and unable to breathe without a mask on.. it scared me so much.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2010, 09:47 PM

I used to, but not any more (been about 10yrs now!).

I tied twice before 3rd time lucky tho, each time lasted 6 months. 3rd time I used patches and that worked. You really do need to be weaned off it, because nicotine is a very addictive drug - more addictive than heroin!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 01:01 PM

I stopped smoking 4 years ago,best thing I ever did...Just need to convince hubby to stop now..
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 04:48 PM

You are all so good at giving up. It is hard and I am trying (very trying!!).
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2010, 08:08 AM

I have to give up but am really struggling, I don't seem to get past a few hours let alone days. I suffer with Firbromyalgia which can really get me down a lot somedays.
My general health is really suffering from them as well and I am overweight.
I have to go to the hospital today as I have been having chest pains and fluttering of the heart. If I get the all clear I am going to completely change my life around, I have to it may be my last chance. I want to enjoy the rest of my life and feel good so it will be goodbye ciggies and hello to exercise and healthy diet.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2010, 10:32 AM

I hope your hospital appointment goes well MM.

I have never smoked, never saw the attraction. My grandfather smoked from a very early age and gave up in his 80's Maybe some people are more susceptible to the addiction than others.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2010, 12:19 PM

I hope all goes well with your hospital appointment MM.

I gave up smoking many years ago before patches, gum etc ..... it is difficult but I found you have to really want to do it in your mind. I got through it with packets and packets of extra strong mints ...... then I had to wean myself off the mints!

Good luck, you can do it and you will do it!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top