Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:02 PM

Adverts, do they work?

The ads on TV I'm sure we've all seen, both past and present, some are funny, some are really clever, some really annoying, but do you ever see an ad and think," I must buy that" or use that product/service, do ads work?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:08 PM

Re: Adverts, do they work?

Yes I think they must.
1st rule of business....brand awareness.

Plus it's a business expense.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:09 PM

I don't, no. I usually have a fixed shopping list, so get my usual items in whatever supermarket I happen to visit.

If I see something different on the shelves I'd consider, but adverts never tempt me to dash out and get it
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I don't, no. I usually have a fixed shopping list, so get my usual items in whatever supermarket I happen to visit.

If I see something different on the shelves I'd consider, but adverts never tempt me to dash out and get it
What internet provider do you use?
Where did you buy your suite?
Bed?
Car?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:15 PM

The MIL's Bungalow is full of Meerkats.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Not for me they don't. I avoid advertisements whenever possible.
I buy the things I buy after careful research not because of any advertisement.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

25-09-2016, 04:21 PM

It's not about instant effect.
It's long term, brainwashing to some extent.

One perfect example was Everest in the 80s.

A marketing test was carried out.....they went into a few junior schools with an exam paper

Q1 Nile, as in -----
Answer River

Q2 Spain, as in -------
A Country.

These were followed by a few more.
All answered correctly by the kids, until the final question.

Everest, as in .....double glazing.

Job done.
Those kids were the future clients.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:28 PM

My brain usually turns off when I see ADs

Searched online for my sofabed and did my homework as ever.

Got the bedstead donkeys' years ago ... Edwardian brass and cast iron.
Current mattress was from Argos because if you keep the plastic wrapping on you can sleep on it overnight and if not to your liking, get a refund.

Yes I can be a little pedantic but have rarely (if ever) made a bad purchase.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The ads on TV I'm sure we've all seen, both past and present, some are funny, some are really clever, some really annoying, but do you ever see an ad and think," I must buy that" or use that product/service, do ads work?
We turn off the sound when they come on having absolutely no interest in any of them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:45 PM

I don't think any of us want to admit that ads influence us, but they certainly do. We all know the ads, so must have watched them on TV, even though we think we take no notice. The names of products, or things associated with them in the ad, are stored in our memories. If I mentioned something like "toilet rolls" to you, and asked what it made you think, you would all relate it to some ad ... that means the work of the ad is already done.
Marketing companies are not stupid , but they know that they need to increase the amount sold, if they are going to charge the manufacturers so much, and they nearly always achieve that!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top