Join for free
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 08:52 AM

Brotherly Love

How moving is this , it brought tears to my eyes .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37402716
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Re: Brotherly Love

I just watched that on the News and can't help thinking that pushing one's body to the point of complete exhaustion cannot be good.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 08:58 AM

true it could have ended tragically. thankfully it didn't .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 09:22 AM

I can't understand the need to be faster than anyone else, he did the right thing and put his brothers needs first, although, I think lying him down and giving him a drink might have been more sensible.
"He ain't heavy, he's my brother" springs to mind.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I can't understand the need to be faster than anyone else, he did the right thing and put his brothers needs first, although, I think lying him down and giving him a drink might have been more sensible.
I suspect he knew how hard his brother had trained and realized how important passing the post would be, as there was a relatively short distance to go.
I also don't understand the need to be faster than anyone else......but then we are not athletes and worked so hard on the training
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's not about being faster than anyone else TessA, an athlete at world class level is up against the hardest task master of them all....Himself.....Anything else is a bonus.

Been there and done that, and am still listening to that voice in my head saying "You can do this"

If he would have helped his brother over the line they both would have been disqualified, you can accept help out on the course but not to cross the line.
If you notice, he let go of his brother before the finish line.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's not about being faster than anyone else TessA, an athlete at world class level is up against the hardest task master of them all....Himself.....Anything else is a bonus.

Been there and done that, and am still listening to that voice in my head saying "You can do this"

If he would have helped his brother over the line they both would have been disqualified, you can accept help out on the course but not to cross the line.
If you notice, he let go of his brother before the finish line.
I did wonder why he just let his brother fall over the line, so you have now confirmed my suspicions. Thanks
I think we all put pressure on ourselves to achieve things, and the urge to succeed, at whatever we do, is an important driving factor. In physical sports it can be a danger but I am sure that, if his brother had felt it was life threatening, he would have put his brothers life ahead of what he wanted to achieve.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I did wonder why he just let his brother fall over the line, so you have now confirmed my suspicions. Thanks
I think we all put pressure on ourselves to achieve things, and the urge to succeed, at whatever we do, is an important driving factor. In physical sports it can be a danger but I am sure that, if his brother had felt it was life threatening, he would have put his brothers life ahead of what he wanted to achieve.

He did Twink, he could have easily beaten the bloke who eventually came first and took the title, he sacrificed his success to help his brother. And quite right too.

The pressure we put on ourselves to achieve can be our greatest asset, but it can also be our greatest enemy.
The pressure others put on us (even unknowingly) can overwhelm us in our attempt to live up to expectations, and not let them down. It has driven some to suicide such is the power.
The power of mind is a much underrated force.......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top