Join for free
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 07:22 PM

Flat Packs

If you have occasion to buy Flat Pack furniture because assembled furniture will not go through small doorways, unless you can assemble it yourself which often takes hours, and you find some parts missing, you do not save any money.

I had to help my friend with ordering new furniture and having given the Salesman the correct measurements of the doorway, I was assured that a Leather settee would go through, it was ordered and paid for, plus £60.00, for delivery from a Store 4 miles away

When it arrived it would not go through the front door, and it was raining as well
Luckily my Builder was at home and he came along on his day off and took the lounge window out and that solved the problem.

With the Bedroom Flat Packs the quotes for assembly are £130.00 for two Wardrobes.

Also, modern furniture is quite flimsy and not much better than Orange Boxes

You have to pay £1000.00 for a decent dresser.

A lot of my own furniture is 50 years old and built to last, even with family use.

The settee was G Plan and was passed on to my son.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Re: Flat Packs

Recently I was going to buy a recliner chair, the rep said he would show me one, as he only had a small van I wondered where he had it and how he'd get it in on his own. Imagine my surprise when he brought it in in parts and proceeded to fit it together in my living room. It was a lovely piece of furniture but at nearly a £1000.oo I was unable to afford it
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 08:24 PM

try and get a flat pack instructions in English is your first challange
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 01:33 PM

I recently the other week had a flat pack kitchen table and two chairs delivered...my youngest son assembled it all and did a great job of it even though the allen keys that came with it were crappy ones(he said)...I did just have to ask a friend how to attach the seats of the chairs as son couldnt work out how they would screw on.
All in all it looks really nice now in my kitchen,its smaller than the one which was there..I sold it to be able to buy this new one.
He didnt have any screws or "things" left over either which is saying something...Ive sat on the chairs and tested them for safeness and they didnt collapse so all must be good
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 03:30 PM

The most infuriating flat pack I have assembled was some Next furniture. It really really was in bits and the parts were scattered amongst several large boxes, so it all had to be taken out at once. I'm no stranger to flat packs and have fitted many kitchens and made lots of other stuff but this lot took me two days.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The most infuriating flat pack I have assembled was some Next furniture. It really really was in bits and the parts were scattered amongst several large boxes, so it all had to be taken out at once. I'm no stranger to flat packs and have fitted many kitchens and made lots of other stuff but this lot took me two days.
1st rule of flat packs.....ignore instructions
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
1st rule of flat packs.....ignore instructions
The last rule of flat packs...when all else fails and temper is starting to give and what you have built resembles nothing like what you think it should and you mysteriously have bits left over (or missing)...THEN you read the instructions

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top