Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 10:59 AM

A really bad start to the day

I woke up this morning, looked up and saw a big black shape on the wall above my bed. I thought it was a moth because last night I went out into the garden at the back through the patio door in my bedroom, leaving the mosquito door bit open.

When I came back I noticed a largish blackish shape whizz past me, I couldnīt see anything in the room and thought it was a large moth that had flown in and flown through the open door between here and the lounge.

This morning, obviously I didnīt have my contact lenses in, so grabbed a pair of specs and looked up.............the black shape was a revolting, very large cockroach ! Talk about panic ! I ran through the house into the kitchen, Mr Clumsy had gone off to get the papers, so only me.

I picked up a full can of cockroach spray, crept back into my room, the revolting thing was still there, so I literally emptied the can of spray on the vile thing, whilst standing well clear. The revolting thing dropped off the wall and landed on a bedside cabinet. I shut the door and headed back to the kitchen.

Mr Clumsy arrived back and I sent him straight to my room to deal with the vile intruder. He couldnīt see it, so removed the lamp, a box of tissues and a couple of books, which were on the bedside cabinet. As he picked up the books the revolting thing fell out, it had actually crawled into a book.

Iīm a nervous wreck now, I keep thinking that thing could have dropped on me during the night, Iīm not sure I will ever sleep again. I am totally neurotic when it comes to cockroaches, they have to be the vilest things on the planet.
Unfortunately at the present time they are flying. They donīt usually fly at this time of year, but for whatever reason, weather conditions presumably, they are flying.

This is the first time in almost 17 years there has ever been one in this room. These days I can deal with insects of all descriptions, but cockroaches I canīt, I turn into a quivering wimp. I hate them, dead or alive.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Re: A really bad start to the day

Loretta I can empathise I can tolerate most things but not cockroaches

I thought it was a moth because last night I went out into the garden at the back through the patio door in my bedroom, leaving the mosquito door bit open.
Don't leave the door open again and you should be ok
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Loretta I can empathise I can tolerate most things but not cockroaches

Don't leave the door open again and you should be ok
Believe me Meg, that mesh door will be opened just far enough for me to squeeze out and pulled firmly too once Iīm through. Iīm still twitching and jumping at every little movement around me.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 11:09 AM

Oh My gawd Clumsy,that would give Me nightmares,I didn't know roaches could fly. ...I have a hissy fit if a bluebottle flies into My House...poor You, (((((())))))
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 11:10 AM

Nasty things glad it didn't fall on you though what a thought !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Clumsy, Cockroaches are really horrible things, l didn't know they could fly!! l hope you've got over your shock!

The other night, l had a demented bluebottle buzzing around in my bedroom. It was really driving me mad as it kept dive bombing on my head as l tried to sleep. I decided l had to get rid of it or l wouldn't sleep! I tried to hit it with a towel but it was too quick for me! I opened the window in my en suite and forced it in there. I swished it with the towel and as soon as it flew out of the window, it came back in again! I eventually got him and squashed him good and proper!!
Another night, two mating dragonflies landed on my head, they also had to be exterminated!
I saw a giant spider coming out of one of the bedrooms the other day. I won't kill a spider as it's bad luck so l picked it up in a tissue and put it outside!
A few days later, l read in the paper that there are lots of giant spiders this year!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

08-09-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks all. I never knew that cockroaches could fly either until a few years ago, but since then I have actually seen them flying, then they drop like a stone. I was also told they only fly once, but whether that is true or not I donīt know. Iīm not an insect fan but I have overcome a fear of most of them and provided they stay away from me, thatīs okay, but cockroaches make my blood run cold. I canīt help it, I just canīt deal with them. This morning I had no choice but honestly I was trembling like a leaf, they make me feel physically sick.

Iīve also been told, again, I donīt know if itīs true, that if you want to kill a cockroach you should approach it from the front as the rear has sensors that lets it know you are there. I donīt want to approach one from the front or the rear. In the absence of Mr Clumsy this morning I thought I was being really heroic spraying the damned thing at all, but I thought if I didnīt it might have gone and hidden somewhere before Mr Clumsy got back.

Itīs nice to hear that Iīm not the only one with a horror of certain creepy crawlies though. It makes me feel a whole lot better about being such a wimp.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

08-09-2016, 12:29 PM

I thought I should educate myself, so here you are......yes the vile things do fly.

http://www.orkincanada.ca/pests/cock...ckroaches-fly/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Another night, two mating dragonflies landed on my head, they also had to be exterminated!
!
How cruel - they are so beautiful and perfectly harmless !

Roaches, bluebottles, wasps - yes, but dragonflies - no, no, definitely not!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:57 PM

That reminds of our first holiday on the Costa Brava a million years ago. We found a nice really cheap apartment little realising, until the first night, the place was alive with the things. I heard this rustling noise so I turned the light on. We slept in the car for the rest of the night and moved out the next morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top