Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 11:55 PM

Spain forest fires force evacuation of residents and tourists

Itīs believed these fires were started deliberately. Why would anyone do that?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37273803

Spanish firefighters are battling a huge forest blaze on the Costa Blanca that has forced the evacuation of thousands of people including tourists.

More than 300 firefighters have been deployed to tackle the fire some 120km (75 miles) south-east of Valencia.

Three fires were deliberately started on one of the hottest days of the year, emergency authorities have said.

The temperature in some places is 40C, but officials hope winds that fanned the flames will decrease.

Officials evacuated more than 1,000 people late on Sunday from Javea and the resort of Benitachell.

The fire became more severe on Monday afternoon and moved toward populated areas in Cumbre del Sol, which authorities say they are also evacuating.

'Stiff upper lip'

"Everyone is coming together", Jeremy Kenton, a British osteopath working in Javea, told the BBC.

"Evacuation tents are being set up in schools, the fire brigade has come from as far north as Valencia, seaplanes are literally swooping down to the sea and then fly in strange angles towards the mountains to drop water.

"The pilots are simply outstanding," he said.
Although the fire has burnt out where he lives, there are fears it could start up again as the wind comes up in the evening and the planes can no longer drop water.

Javea is populated by an international community of Britons, as well as French, Dutch, Germans, Norwegians, alongside Spanish locals.

The mood is one of "British stiff upper lip" and a "laid-back Spanish attitude", Mr Kenton says.

Valencia emergency services head Jose Maria Angel told Spanish radio that he believed three fires that ripped through vegetation and destroyed buildings were due to "the hand of man... in a very precise way".

He told reporters aircraft were dumping water on the area every four minutes. About 65 vehicles were also deployed.

On Friday, the 19th stage of the Vuelta a Espana, a three-week cycling race, is scheduled to take place in Javea.

In December more than 120 forest fires broke out in northern Spain, some of which officials said may have been started deliberately.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 01:46 AM

Re: Spain forest fires force evacuation of residents and tourists

I heard this on the radio earlier and thought I hope clumsy is ok ! Who would do it ? An idiot imo
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 08:46 AM

It looks scary Loretta I hope you and your friends are nowhere near the area ...
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It looks scary Loretta I hope you and your friends are nowhere near the area ...
I agree Meg!
How far away are the fires from you Loretta?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Thanks for asking all, but we are not near the fires, they are close to Benidorm, we are approximately an hour and a half drive away from there.

It's hard to comprehend why anyone would start fires deliberately, its something I simply can't comprehend. The devastation to wild life, property and often people surely can't give anyone a "kick".

A few years ago here 11 firemen died in a similar fire when the wind suddenly changed direction and the fire surrounded them.

There is more than enough risk of fires starting accidentally at the present time with the very dry conditions, yet some people want to start them deliberately, so very hard to understand.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 03:46 PM

I don't think we'll ever understand these people clumsy, if we did tbh I would be worried about us too. They don't think and their brains and morals aren't like ours. I think we are fairly lucky there are less like them and more like us or we would really be in trouble.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2016, 03:52 PM

What is wrong with people. Its bad enough fires starting on their own without people lighting them and causing this amount of destruction.

Hope everything is sorted soon Clumsy and they catch them.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

06-09-2016, 08:33 PM

I have no idea why anyone wants to deliberately start fires, whether itīs for barbeques or any other reason, when everywhere is so dry and only one little spark would be needed. There is a little more news here:

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...fire-in-javea/
TWO teenagers have been arrested for the fire that tore through Javea town in the early hours of the morning.

The fire hit the area, near Benidorm, seeing locals being put up in schools, restaurants and hotels.

Around 20 homes have been destroyed, with the blaze continuing to raze the town to the ground.

Police have closed roads, with three fires taking place in Cumbres de Sol, Granadella and Playa del Arenal, all starting yesterday afternoon and evening.

Thousands of people have evcuated the towns near the fire.

Iīm not too sure how the situation is right now, we havenīt had chance to see the news due to unexpected visitors.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top