Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Our roads

We travel a lot in two counties the difference in the road surfaces is huge, Sussex not bad at all, Surrey if you get in one of those pot holes no hope of getting back out you are lost for ever

But point is why are our roads being allowed to get in such a state ? We pay road tax it goes up every year but repairs are few and when they do them completely unacceptable quality.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 12:26 PM

Re: Our roads

Thank you Julie for bringing up this subject. Generally I stray not from GUMBUD leisurely scribbles thread, but our ROADS are becoming so bad that a new initiative and a fresh leader needs to bring our roads into the 21st Century.

But it's not just the roads deteriorating; it's the kerbs, the pavements, pathways, signs, litter
The current position is atrocious

I could go on
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 12:43 PM

I completely agree signage pavements it all needs fixing.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 12:49 PM

My moan is that road signs are obstructed by tree branches and foliage thus obscuring the names of places you're heading to! The foiliage also obscures which direction you need take.
I really think it's getting worse and l never see anyone clearing them!!
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 12:55 PM

When you drive along on a two-way road and an on-coming vehicle causes you to keep well over to your own side of the road, you can't help but crash into pot-holes which get bigger and deeper by the day ! Unfortunately this is unavoidable, unless you want a head-on collision.

We have just had to find the money to pay for complete suspension stuff on the nearside of our car. The offside is fine. Now I wonder why that is.

Whenever we come across those damned 'speed' humps in the road, we always slow right down so that our car doesn't get violently jarred navigating them. We do see other drivers dashing over these humps, and the only thing we can think of is that the car doesn't belong to that driver - either it is a stolen car or the car is a 'company car'.

I was sorely tempted to ask our garage man to make out a separate bill just for the suspension items that he had to replace for us, so we can send it through to the county council road maintenance department ! I didn't in the end, but the thought occurs to me that all car owners who have had to have repairs done to the suspension units should send the relevant bill through to their council. I wonder what would happen, if anything.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 01:06 PM

Road Tax does not pay for road repairs.
It's a tax by Customs and Excise.
Local councils pay for road repairs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

01-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Well who ever funds it I feel like we are not getting our monies worth tpin. But I get your point.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 01:11 PM

We all fund it through taxes and local council taxes.
So you could say those that don't drive are paying towards it as well.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

01-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
We all find it through local taxes.
So you could say those that don't drive are paying towards it as well.
That could be said about many things we pay tax but don't use the schools, libraries or parks. I'd still say we have to pay for them though as that's how communities work.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
I was sorely tempted to ask our garage man to make out a separate bill just for the suspension items that he had to replace for us, so we can send it through to the county council road maintenance department ! I didn't in the end, but the thought occurs to me that all car owners who have had to have repairs done to the suspension units should send the relevant bill through to their council. I wonder what would happen, if anything.
I understand that many people have sued the councils, or at least persuaded them to pay for repairs caused by potholes.

I think some of our roads are in a disgusting state. I've said it many times, but we are becoming more and more like Egypt, but without the pyramids.

I may be proved wrong, but I suspect that money is still there, but is either wasted or intentionally misappropriated.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top