Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Shopping ... ARRGH !!!

I have friends who, from time to time, invite themselves to dinner. They are coming over tomorrow and have asked me to make a liver goulash. No problem - I thought !

Yesterday - went into town to the butchers in the market - no pigs liver until Friday. Came back on the bus - walked down to the butcher in the village. No pigs liver - thought he might have some today though.

Today - walked down to the village - butcher very sorry - no liver until Friday because of the Bank Holiday. Tried to work that one out while I walked up to Sainsbury's for some kitchen paper rolls. Saw their butcher's dept - asked about pigs liver.

Quote:
We don't call it pigs liver anymore, we call it Pork liver because people objected to the word pig.
How silly is that ??!!

Whatever they choose to call it - they did not have any on the counter but said there was some on the shelf in the pre-packed meat section. Not a fan of pre-packed stuff but - beggars can't be choosers - went to have a look. Searched every shelf in the 'Pork' section - no liver. Butcher saw me beginning to fume and came across to help - found oodles of the stuff - in the 'Beef' section !! Now why didn't I think of looking there?

Left store heading home - realised I had not bought the kitchen rolls I originally went it for - way home leads passed 'The Range' store so made a quick detour.

Walked around their 'Homewares' section about 4 times becoming more frustrated by the minute. Hijacked a passing member of staff - he pointed right across to the other side of the store at a pallet in the 'Art and Craft' section.

Quote:
They had to stack them there as there was too much stuff in 'Homewares'
Arrggh! And people wonder why I loathe supermarkets!

Need to have a cup of tea and cuddle a cat !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 11:51 AM

Re: Shopping ... ARRGH !!!

Shop on line it's so much easier
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Silver Tabby, I know you story wasn't meant to be funny but I was picturing you face at every problem... and I have to say that it did make me giggle.
I know what it is like when you need a specific ingredient for a recipe, and you can't buy it anywhere, it is so annoying. One thing I wanted to ask was, have you ever tried to use lamb's liver instead?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Shop on line it's so much easier
I have done - for some things but not fresh food - I like to see what I am buying.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

31-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Silver Tabby, I know you story wasn't meant to be funny but I was picturing you face at every problem... and I have to say that it did make me giggle.
I know what it is like when you need a specific ingredient for a recipe, and you can't buy it anywhere, it is so annoying. One thing I wanted to ask was, have you ever tried to use lamb's liver instead?
I am glad it made you laugh!

Lamb's liver is not really good in a goulash - the flavour is too bland and, because it is more tender than pig's, it has a tendency to disintegrate.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:14 PM

I hate shopping with a vengeance but l tolerate food shopping!
I can't believe they don't call it pigs liver anymore, it sounds a bit OTT to me.

It reminded me of when l went to a carvery, the man serving said, 'Would you like some seasoned balls?' I didn't understand what he meant until he explained.. 'We can't ask you if you want stuffing anymore as some complained it was inappropriate'!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am glad it made you laugh!

Lamb's liver is not really good in a goulash - the flavour is too bland and, because it is more tender than pig's, it has a tendency to disintegrate.
Ahh now I understand! I have never used liver for Goulash, when I eat it I usually have lambs liver, bacon and onions in gravy... and then it spends no more that a couple of minutes in the pan.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 12:24 PM

I always buy pigs liver over lambs as I prefer pigs liver rather than lambs...
Good grief Art ...it made me laugh that you wasnt asked if you wanted stuffing ...it made me laugh even more that you were asked if you wanted "seasoned balls"

I hope youve recovered from your mare of a shopping trip now Silver T ... Ive had days where everythings gone wrong too ....hope your dinner with friends goes well
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have friends who, from time to time, invite themselves to dinner. They are coming over tomorrow and have asked me to make a liver goulash. No problem - I thought
What I can't understand is why people who have invited themselves to dinner at your house, then ask you to actually cook something specific for them? Why? Here they would get whatever I'd be doing.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I hate shopping with a vengeance but l tolerate food shopping!
I can't believe they don't call it pigs liver anymore, it sounds a bit OTT to me.

It reminded me of when l went to a carvery, the man serving said, 'Would you like some seasoned balls?' I didn't understand what he meant until he explained.. 'We can't ask you if you want stuffing anymore as some complained it was inappropriate'!!

Seasoned Balls?

That is very funny coming from a man.

What Favour I wonder?

I like Prawn Balls and Chocolate ones too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top