Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 04:16 AM

A Heartwarming Footnote

It all started with a humble plea: "Some bugger nicked me pluggers."

Now a Darwin fisherman who crowdfunded for a new pair of shoes is set to donate the money to those less fortunate after raising $69 to replace his "good" thongs.

"I didn't think it would go that far," Clancy Whalan said.

Earlier this month, Mr Whalan headed out one morning to Buffalo Creek for a spot of fishing with three mates with Territory-style nicknames — Soddy, Big Hands and Hot Beers.

"They don't like thongs on the boat. They consider it bad luck, so I decided to leave them next to a rock on the boat ramp.

"I came back about eight hours later — and I wasn't as sober as when I'd left — and the thongs are gone."

Mr Whalan said after an exhaustive five-minute search, and confirming he and his mates were indeed at the right ramp, the thongs were declared lost with suspicions of daylight robbery.

Unfortunately these were not any $4 cheap thongs and were actually a prized pair.

"These ones have bottle openers on the bottom of them. They're good," Mr Whalan said.

"I'd had them for at least two years. They were actually my backup thongs as I lost my new thongs a few weeks earlier. I'd left them on a mate's boat on Beer Can Regatta Day."

On his way home Mr Whalan at first felt that he "didn't know what to do", until he remembered something about online crowdfunding.

"To be honest, I've never used it before. It's not something I do often," he said.

"I thought it would be a bit of a laugh. I didn't think anyone would put any money towards it, but $69 has been raised."
'Sorry for your loss mate'

Comments on Mr Whalan's crowdfunding page have been overly empathetic.

"There ya go bruss, buy some plash ones ay!!!"

"Sorry for your loss mate. They are in a better place."

"Wishing you and your new thongs all the best in what I hope is a long and lovely union."

Mr Whalan said the surprising string of donations — nine people over 10 days — would now be put towards charity.

Mr Whalan said he would probably buy himself a pair of cheap thongs for future fishing trips.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 05:49 AM

Re: A Heartwarming Footnote

I would never have imagined big tough aussie blokes wearing thongs to match their shoes, but you learn something new every day...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I would never have imagined big tough aussie blokes wearing thongs to match their shoes, but you learn something new every day...
Ah! Poor thing, you make the same mistake as so many pommie blokes who hear that Aussies wear T shirt and thongs to the beach and turn up at Bondi wearing a G string to howls of raucous laughter.

Alas dear Barry thongs here are what you folk call flip flops so your dreams of wearing exotic beach wear will have to remain just a dream.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 07:55 AM

I did hear a story about a bloke that had two left feet and had to wear Flip Flips
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 08:08 AM

I am reminded of the confusion caused in the past over the US & UK sharing of a common language, but had no idea there were similar discord with OZ.

Also heartwarming memories of 2 way family favourites on the 1950's radio listened to with "A thong in my heart" the theme music.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Alas dear Barry thongs here are what you folk call flip flops so your dreams of wearing exotic beach wear will have to remain just a dream.
B****r it, another fantasy destroyed....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Glad he got his shoes, this crowd funding is amazing one of the mums at school contributed to one campaign and they got enough to buy a motorised wheelchair for a man who had been turned down by NHS. Really seems like a good idea each small donation helps.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top