Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Games as Kids?

What games do you remember playing as a child?

I grew up in London, and most of our daylight time we were outdoors playing. There were loadsa games .....

Just a couple ..... Run-Outs (where one child would close his/her eyes and count to 10 and the rest of us would run and hide. The child would then have to come and find us.

We roller skated ..... however, the skates were lethal (Health & Safety would have a field day)! Each skate would come in two parts, and bolted together, but ours had long ago lost the bolts, so we tied them together! Then you would have a nice leather cover over your toes and strapped onto the skate..... but they were long lost, so we tied and strapped our feet with anything we could find. How we never broke our necks!!!!

Five Stones. These were five coloured cubes which you would balance on the back of your hand. Then throw in the air, and turn your hand to catch them all. (There was also something about holding them between your fingers, but can't remember that properly).

If two mates fell out, and made up, we would link little fingers and say; "Veinites". It worked for us. Pity some of the warring Countries can't adopt the same idea!

Regards,
Rainbow
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Re: Games as Kids?

I was only interested in the three F's.

Fighting, Football and Food.

Odd times we used to play cricket, a game that I excelled at in later life until I got married and then just stuck to Football. It was at a football match that I met the most important person in my life.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Most of our time was spent climbing trees, making dens or on our crocked old bikes.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 03:00 PM

There were soooo many outdoor games for children in those early days. It must have been so good for our parents then to know we were outdoors getting fresh air and exercise ...... unlike today where children don't have so much outdoor freedom and are often glued to the TV or computer!

You may find this earlier thread interesting, Rainbow ...... it's just like going down Memory Lane!

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...hildhood+games
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks Mags, I will have a peep at that link.

(PS. You rarely see kids climbing trees nowadays - more inclined to see them damaged)!

Rainbow
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Tag, Statues, Kick the can, yes roller skating too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Making dens, inventing gangs and secret societies, roller skating, hula hoops, jacks, marbles.

One made up game was where we used to mix all sorts from our mother's pantries (some nice, some nasty mixes) and then, blindfolded, we took it in turns to guess what was in the mix the other had made up.

We also used to make plastercast models with rubber moulds, paint and varnish them and try to sell them to our neighbours, until my mum found out and then she made us give all the money back and tell our neighbours they could keep the model. I think she should have encouraged my entrepreneurial tendencies not sabbotage them.

I seem to remember we were always in some sort of trouble for something back then, but we did have fun.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Skipping games, marbles and a form of hopscotch called 'snail shells' (which may be a game peculiar to Derbyshire) where a snail like shell is drawn in chalk with segments/boxes and one has to hop to the centre of the shell and back.
A completed circuit wins a square which opponents then have to hop over, win two or more squares together and life is difficult for opponents.

Other games include 'tin can whip it' and street rounders
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Tig, statues, aunties, uncles, cousins, roller skating, back court concerts To name a few - climbing up the drain pipe at the back of our tenement in Govan - right up to the 2nd storey!! Peever - or "beds", peeries and wee shops, footie and heidies - I was the best "keeper upper" amongst the boys (I was the only girl in the part of the street I lived - all kids were boys!)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Bouncing a rubber ball against the outside toilet door, especially when someone was "concentrating" inside!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top