Join for free
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 06:02 PM

Bunches of flowers

Do you ,when you have a bunch of flowers,and they are coming to the end.
Just chuck them away or snip away the dead leaves flowers and put them into a smaller vase.
I do the latter frankly.
There is still life in them and it seems such a shame to throw them away.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 06:31 PM

Re: Bunches of flowers

I keep my flowers going to the very end..I even tip the water out when they start looking a bit sad and top it up with sparkling lemonade just to give them a boost ..once I had a vase of flowers last 3 weeks
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Do you ,when you have a bunch of flowers,and they are coming to the end.
Just chuck them away or snip away the dead leaves flowers and put them into a smaller vase.
I do the latter frankly.
There is still life in them and it seems such a shame to throw them away.
Yes I do that too. Last year I received a bouquet of flowers and there were carnations in the bunch. I cut the bit out (shoots?) and planted them in the garden. So, now got them in the garden for nothing.

My bunches of flowers seem to last ages too Aysa, even tho some I've had from the supermarket say they only last 7 days.

Ashamed to say sometimes after a couple of weeks +, I get sick of looking at them and bin them, but not always.
And I'm always wishing those big smelly lilies would hurry up and die, can't abide their smell and they make me wheeze
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Yes I do that too. Last year I received a bouquet of flowers and there were carnations in the bunch. I cut the bit out (shoots?) and planted them in the garden. So, now got them in the garden for nothing.

My bunches of flowers seem to last ages too Aysa, even tho some I've had from the supermarket say they only last 7 days.

Ashamed to say sometimes after a couple of weeks +, I get sick of looking at them and bin them, but not always.
And I'm always wishing those big smelly lilies would hurry up and die, can't abide their smell and they make me wheeze
Oh don"t talk to me about Lilies, Pesta , My eldest DD always is buying me bunches of them, even though I have given hints I am not keen.
The pollen goes everywhere . I think they set off hayfever tbh.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 07:05 PM

Oh don"t talk to me about Lilies, Pesta , My eldest DD always is buying me bunches of them, even though I have given hints I am not keen.
The pollen goes everywhere . I think they set off hayfever tbh.
I always cut those bits off as soon as they open up Apricot. No problems with stuff getting on the furniture or clothes.

They are lovely looking flowers, but they smell so dreadfully
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 08:01 PM

or snip away the dead leaves flowers and put them into a smaller vase.

....yes with half an asprin not sure if it does anything but they seem to last a few more days.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-08-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
....yes with half an asprin not sure if it does anything but they seem to last a few more days.
Stops them getting a headache Meg, if nothing else.

I've heard all this stuff about aspirin or lemonade. I just change the water and put nothing in, not even the food they enclose with the bouquets. All I do is cut the stems diagonally when the first arrive and put 'em in water.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 08:11 PM

My wife bins 'em. And hints at me to buy her some new ones.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-08-2016, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
My wife bins 'em. And hints at me to buy her some new ones.
I had an elderly friend like that. She was always cross if she received flowers whether it was from her husband or friends.
She always used to swear and have a tantrum 'cos she'd have to go looking for a vase and mess about arranging them. She hated receiving flowers.
But a bottle of whisky was a different matter

Edited.
Floydy, just re-read your post and it read nothing like I thought it did so my comment must read a bit odd. But I'll leave it anyway - I like to be odd
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I had an elderly friend like that. She was always cross if she received flowers whether it was from her husband or friends.
She always used to swear and have a tantrum 'cos she'd have to go looking for a vase and mess about arranging them. She hated receiving flowers.
But a bottle of whisky was a different matter

Edited.
Floydy, just re-read your post and it was nothing like I thought it was so my comment must read a bit odd. But I'll leave it anyway - I like to be odd
Haha! Yes, my wife tells me to buy her something 'interesting' - whatever that means, or give her a tenner.
Hell no, flowers are cheaper
The whiskey is for me

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top