Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Stratford Olympic Park.

Good day all.
It may be worth a mention to those that fancy a day out around Stratfords Olympic Park that have problems like myself of actually doing the walkaround and trying to keep up with the family.
Yesterday I decided after months of my children saying come on dad you can do it and my grandkids saying please grandad you will love it.
I know I always want to go out with the young ones but I seem to have built myself this safe circle that I call it around me because although I try to walk alot and excercise truth is my lungs are riddled with emphysema down to 20% fev and my heart is playing up on occasions to now due to all the overwork over the past 17 yrs. So going out in public for me is a bit of a no no because I hate the stares and the world pitying me it really annoys me if some one says awwww when I am struggling for breath and asking me questions that I cannot answer straight away because I am gasping and they stand there staring and waiting for an answer. grrrrrrrrrr.
So that is my own predicament, and that is why I have built this safe circle and have to plan everything beforehand.

Walking in the mornings is great there is hardly anyone about and those that are know my silly ways and I have some great friends and we have many laughs on good days but bad days they know I cannot talk n walk.Other days I may turn up with my o2 that I am supposed to use when I am pushing myself.

OMG I can waffle can't I.
So back to Stratford now that you know my medical history and silly ways.
I decided to go online and book a motorbility scooter something I have avoided like the plague for all those years using. You may like to know it only cost £5 to rent a day and you do not have to be disabled, you will need a form of ID bus pass driving liscence they photocopy this and then return it to you after you have returned the scooter. A days rental is from their opening time around 9 to 930am I cannot remember and you return it by 5.30.5.45pm it is fully charged and lasts easily on the charge, it is easy to drive, easy to understand buttons in front of you, it as a silly squeaky horn but you realy do not need it except when the grandkids want to play.
I was able to keep up with everyone all day every place we went we stopped laid on the grass the kids played on the adventure playgrounds, played table tennic I did try that because I used to love the game but only lasted about 5 minutes we went on the excercise machines but once again I was unable to stay on long but the grandkids all where using them and it was a really pleasing day.
Very very multi cultural all creeds and colours all enjoying the day. Something I thought I would never be part of again.
Now that I know all I need to do is drive into the shopping centres underground car park and use the parking bays near John Lewis. Then when you get the escalator upto the ground level it is a small walk across to the motorbility scooters and then its a great day.
It cost £6.50 for the car park £5 for the scooter and it was really money well spent and I never struggled whilst using the scooter. So I was able to converse properly with all my kids and missus clear minded (no brain fog).
We also went along the nice clean canal I have never seen it so clean you can hire swan peddle boats but it is expensive at £4.50 for half hour.
One down side was seeing the stadium drenched in West Ham players all credited to the taxpayer. grrrrrrrr.
Great day was had by all and I really reccomend the scooters for those that find it a little hard walking.
I was also told by the guy that if I pay an anual fee of £30 I can use the scooter anytime I want to, now that will be a deal I will be looking into and the missus because she is getting on abit and found it a little hard to keep up with me yesterday in that heat..
Yes I also let her use it on occasions, I had my o2 to rely on then.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Re: Stratford Olympic Park.

Sounds like a good day out LD, glad it turned out well for you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sounds like a good day out LD, glad it turned out well for you.
LF
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 02:41 PM

Great day Barry will now be looking at finding motorbility rentals in places like Clacton and Southend infact anywhere I can go with the family . It has broken the ice on that level for me.
My family are now saying that I should buy one but I do not know about that I have seen to many friends in the past get in one and become very weak.
That is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion I like the fight.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Great day Barry will now be looking at finding motorbility rentals in places like Clacton and Southend infact anywhere I can go with the family . It has broken the ice on that level for me.
My family are now saying that I should buy one but I do not know about that I have seen to many friends in the past get in one and become very weak.
That is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion I like the fight.
It's good isn't it. Hired one for my mum when she visited Exter. £5 including all day parking for two cars.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 02:45 PM

I'm pleased to hear you had a good day out, LF

These scooters can certainly bring a lot more enjoyment into your life.
longfellow
Chatterbox

25-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's good isn't it. Hired one for my mum when she visited Exter. £5 including all day parking for two cars.
Thats really good value LD.
Basildon do a lot of free parking for us disabled to.
I really do not know where I would be without my Blue Badge. Trouble is I do get those looks from people thinking why are you using a disabled bay because on good day I look ok.

My problems are all hidden.
longfellow
Chatterbox

25-08-2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm pleased to hear you had a good day out, LF

These scooters can certainly bring a lot more enjoyment into your life.
Yes Mags they do and I can see why folk end up in them permantly something I hope to avoid for a long long time.
I have decided to treat them like grandkids love em to death when I have one but so pleased to return them after a short while..
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 04:09 PM

I want one that goes up mountains and over rocky terrains ,
I dont have a driving licence so i might not be safe on one .

sounds like a nice family day out
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 04:23 PM

You should be able to hire them at the seaside places. Mum used to hire one at Lowestoft, when the air show was on. And that meant we had the free parking. Just before visiting these places, Google to see if they have a motability shop, or scooter hire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top