Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 08:58 AM

complaints about merchandising/marketing

I am reminded every day how the world of advertising has become ever more removed from yours & my reality.

Today's commercials are so grand, lavish, far fetched & I'll give them clever that the extravaganza being featured has no connection with the product.Well none that I can see anyway.

And another thing. Why oh why do the shops still employ old fashioned prices ending in & 99p e.g. £999.99 instead of £1000.

No one is fooled.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 09:18 AM

Re: complaints about merchandising/marketing

The thing is, we indirectly pay for the lavish advertisements that entice us into buying the product. These companies know how to target the public and know many will buy anything if it is presented cleverly or with the right music!
The worst, is at Christmas and they target the children who then pressurise their parents into buying the item!

Some assistants pronounces £9.99, as noine, nointy, noine!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:26 AM

The cord that holds you back....gone !!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:31 AM

I agree Robert,its a materialistic world according to the adverts you watch ...see ,want, have....get!...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Today's commercials are so grand, lavish, far fetched & I'll give them clever that the extravaganza being featured has no connection with the product.Well none that I can see anyway.
I rarely see them Robert, I am the adman's nightmare and fast forward through them and I don't buy magazines or newspapers so do see their advertisements either .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I am reminded every day how the world of advertising has become ever more removed from yours & my reality.

And another thing. Why oh why do the shops still employ old fashioned prices ending in & 99p e.g. £999.99 instead of £1000.

No one is fooled.
I'm sure I read somewhere, years ago, that this forces the till to be opened, thereby reducing the risk of theft by the cashier.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 02:37 PM

I like the ad for a carpet or a washer....with free fitting...

free??

Does anybody NOT believe that the price is increased in the first place to cover the cost of any freebies?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 03:33 PM

I'm guilty of being gullible.
Show me something unusual and I go into "yes master" mode.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I'm sure I read somewhere, years ago, that this forces the till to be opened, thereby reducing the risk of theft by the cashier.
Yes I read that too ... But I wonder how they do it in the Pound shops ?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 03:51 PM

Ah well, the pound shops came along afterwards!

As for 'free' carpet fitting, I had to pay an extra £30, (£10 per door) for the door bottoms to be shaved off, but the carpet shop never told me that! Just as well I had some extra cash in the home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top