Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 08:50 AM

Fleas!

Four MILLION pets at risk from mass FLEA invasion, charity warns
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/702...ity-PDSA-warns

Originally Posted by Express
With autumn and the big central heating switch on approaching, there are fears that both pets and homes will be under attack from astronomical numbers of fleas brought into homes as eggs and larvae, particularly on our shoes.
Some interesting comments on how to treat animals without having to resort to over the counter remedies...

Originally Posted by ycjarman
I have for many many years given My Dog / Dogs a Garlic Capsule daily (good quality strength one)
As a teenager I worked in Kennels and the elderly owner used to do this and said - Dogs don't get Fleas or Worms if you give them A Garlic Capsule daily !
No uninvited guests living with MY Dog !
Originally Posted by jackiron
Forget the expensive vet or pet store.. they may even have started the scare.
Treat with real apple (not suspect concentrate) cider vinegar. 5 tbl spoons to 5ltr bucket of water then drench rub and leave. Don't rinse off. Kills just about all if not all insects/parasites and eggs in one go.
Use on all pets.. good for healthy coats.
Add 2 tbl spoons into conditioner drawer of washing machine for bedding.
Spray on household insect/fly infestations for eradication.
Cheap as chips treatment
If they made the medicines cheaper that would surely help wouldn't it? Lets face it it costs a fortune to own a dog or cat these days, though come to think of it that is probably a good thing as it helps keep the numbers down, and presumably animals are more than likely liable to end up with caring owners.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 08:54 AM

Re: Fleas!

We use vet prescribed tick flea and worm chew, works well. I did use garlic for years but it doesn't work as well as these chews, I had rather regular flea bombs and sprays when the garlic failed

Yes it costs but when you have fleas a couple of times I think I'd rather pay for it than have them again.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Pet medicines and treatment are a huge expense, they know we're sentimental about animals so they charge far too much!
My cats are ok at the moment but Floyd's been itchy, I have to be careful as he's on medication for Cushings, he's had a flea bath and drops but he gets a flea allergy and once he starts with the "nibbling itch" he won't stop til he's sore.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Pet medicines and treatment are a huge expense, they know we're sentimental about animals so they charge far too much!
My cats are ok at the moment but Floyd's been itchy, I have to be careful as he's on medication for Cushings, he's had a flea bath and drops but he gets a flea allergy and once he starts with the "nibbling itch" he won't stop til he's sore.
Try this remedy then?

Originally Posted by jackiron
Forget the expensive vet or pet store.. they may even have started the scare.
Treat with real apple (not suspect concentrate) cider vinegar. 5 tbl spoons to 5ltr bucket of water then drench rub and leave. Don't rinse off. Kills just about all if not all insects/parasites and eggs in one go.
Use on all pets.. good for healthy coats.
Add 2 tbl spoons into conditioner drawer of washing machine for bedding.
Spray on household insect/fly infestations for eradication.
Cheap as chips treatment
Might work and save you a fortune to boot.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Flea allergy is dreadful our late Rosie chi had it and just one bite would make her itchy off weeks. You have my sympathy. We used anti histamines one a day during flea season that helped a bit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Cheaper medicines might well help some owners Mark, but it wouldn't necessarily solve anything.
I say this because even people who DO using flea repellants/killers still get flea problems.

My own personal view is that vets and drug companies push people so much into using these products, and IMO, many animals are way over-dosed, and this is why the fleas have built up immunity to the products. Making them cheaper won't change that, if anything it could worsen the situation, because even more people would keep buying and over-dosing.
Same happens with wormers. Worms are immune to many products now, too - but it's nothing to do with the price of wormers, is it.
Owners are encouraged all the time to de-flea regularly, worm regularly, even if the animal hasn't got a problem.

Do you take Paracetamol regularly incase you get a headache?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 11:03 AM

I'm scratching now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

23-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Cheaper medicines might well help some owners Mark, but it wouldn't necessarily solve anything.
I say this because even people who DO using flea repellants/killers still get flea problems.

My own personal view is that vets and drug companies push people so much into using these products, and IMO, many animals are way over-dosed, and this is why the fleas have built up immunity to the products. Making them cheaper won't change that, if anything it could worsen the situation, because even more people would keep buying and over-dosing.
Same happens with wormers. Worms are immune to many products now, too - but it's nothing to do with the price of wormers, is it.
Owners are encouraged all the time to de-flea regularly, worm regularly, even if the animal hasn't got a problem.

Do you take Paracetamol regularly incase you get a headache?
That's a worry, I also think vets could get together and rotate treatments if they did that the pests wouldn't get immunity. I'd say cat owners need to flea treat more in many cases, it's rare to get dog fleas on our dogs it always seems to be cat fleas !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 11:48 AM

particularly on our shoes.
Not a problem here outdoor shoes are not worn in the house.
I won't used chemical flea treatments on my dog neither are they necessary and I have know dogs to have a severe reaction to them and die.

My dog enters and leaves the house through the garage where she has a quick brush over and foot wash after every walk and all dog frequented areas are vacuumed daily and dog bedding /floor washed breaking the flea life cycle. Fleas do not live on pets but the surrounding area, they just jump on for a meal.
Good pet management and housekeeping is the key to being flea free.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 11:49 AM

The price of 'flealessness' is eternal vigilance !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top