Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Feeding the Homeless of Rio

This is incredibly inspirational!

I love the sense of community and the sheer scale and imagination of what is being achieved by this lovely lovely man.
But most of all the dignity being shown to these people... plastic and cardboard??

MacCrapalds eat your greedy hearts out!

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport...rios-homeless/

But zero out of ten to the Olympic movement...

"The word has spread – but the Olympic movement has not been moved to help. Bottura’s collaborator David Hertz, a distinguished Brazilian chef and social entrepreneur, approached the Rio Olympics organising committee and the IOC, and found a brick wall. “No one was interested. There was nothing,” said Hertz, whose past decade has been spent in his homeland, training people from difficult backgrounds to work as kitchen assistants and spreading the message about good food."
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 12:08 PM

Re: Feeding the Homeless of Rio

Wonderful! That guy deserves a medal!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 12:20 PM

Well done! I do hope that the `restaurant` continues to thrive after the Olympics are over.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Now they I would give gold medals to, such inspirational people.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 12:38 PM

Brilliant and I hope they carry on doing things like this after the Olympics has finished too..
There's no excuse for mass wastage of food when there are starving people it could feed !
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 12:44 PM

What a great idea .. and I applaud the man who thought of the poor instead of wasting food.

I googled this to try and find out what it is costing to feed all these athletes but could only find out that 450,000 condoms have been distributed amongst the athletes, which wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I thought the pictures of the Opening Ceremony showed a poignant contrast .... all the glitter and pomp in the backdrop .. and Brazil's poor joining in, at a distance, by watching from the rooftops of one of the nearby slums.

While thousands of spectators packed into the Maracana Stadium for the glittering opening ceremony, Rio's slum-dwellers were forced to watch the event from the roofs of their run-down homes
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tops-slum.html
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
What a great idea .. and I applaud the man who thought of the poor instead of wasting food.

I googled this to try and find out what it is costing to feed all these athletes but could only find out that 450,000 condoms have been distributed amongst the athletes, which wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I thought the pictures of the Opening Ceremony showed a poignant contrast .... all the glitter and pomp in the backdrop .. and Brazil's poor joining in, at a distance, by watching from the rooftops of one of the nearby slums.

While thousands of spectators packed into the Maracana Stadium for the glittering opening ceremony, Rio's slum-dwellers were forced to watch the event from the roofs of their run-down homes
Goes a long way to explain the mainly empty seats at some of the events - many `ordinary` Brazilians can't afford entry tickets.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

But since then many of the seats in the stadiums are empty....why?
The price of the tickets in stark contrast to the average Brazilian wage I guess.
Give the damn things away if you can't sell them!!

In London the stadiums were heaving!

Snap Judd!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 01:34 PM

In Bristol (I think) there are people getting out of date food from supermarkets and serving it in homeless shelters, it was on the local news a few weeks back, I'll try to find it.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Well done! I do hope that the `restaurant` continues to thrive after the Olympics are over.
That was my thought too, hope its not all done for publicity and will carry on after the Cameras and Journalist head home .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top