Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:41 PM

Supermarkets lying through their teeth !!

I thought this was weird advice a long time ago.In fact, I wish I had queried their advice back then.
Reading this morning that 10 out of 11 supermarkets advise that we freeze our fresh meat on the day of purchase. Hello, thought I, what about the week (or even a month with gammon or ham joints) refrigerator life????? By my reckoning, people who are fussy about meat have probably thrown it away once they have read that it should have been frozen on day of purchase.

Also, 10 out of 11 Supermarkets advise consuming frozen meat within one month. Absolute rubbish apparently, once frozen, it remains safe indefinitely.

Mmmm, I would like to know why the Supermarkets were never pulled up by anyone for issuing such blatant crap advice to consumers. Another ploy to make us buy more meat sooner than we would normally have done?
How are they allowed to get away with such misleading advice. It's wrong ! What do you think?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:49 PM

Re: Supermarkets lying through their teeth !!

SG I think those are just standard instruction issues by supermarkets to cover themselves rather like 'sell by' and 'use by' dates .
What you do with a product once you get it home is up to you, should you fail to follow the advice and there is a problem the shop may not take responsibility . The advice about freezing fresh meat is so you can enjoy it at its optimum quality. After that time there may be some deterioration so you may not be using it at its best.

I would never freeze gammon or bacon, it has been through one preserving process and is not improved by undergoing a second.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Me neither Meg, It would never last even a week in my house. I usually cook it for Sunday lunch, then have it cold with salad and new potatoes and the rest goes very well with either Branston small bite pickle or Red Onion Chutney sandwiches. Yum!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 02:56 PM

Lots of these rules are just rubbish, I clear out the fridges at work each week it's a real shame the stuff out of date I have to chuck away, most of it would be fine for another week but because they are scared of health and safety they tell me to throw it away.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 04:22 PM

SG, I have to agree about the bacon. I froze some lately but when l cooked it, the fat tasted rancid! I don't think it freezes very well at all!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
SG I think those are just standard instruction issues by supermarkets to cover themselves rather like 'sell by' and 'use by' dates .
What you do with a product once you get it home is up to you, should you fail to follow the advice and there is a problem the shop may not take responsibility . The advice about freezing fresh meat is so you can enjoy it at its optimum quality. After that time there may be some deterioration so you may not be using it at its best.

I would never freeze gammon or bacon,
it has been through one preserving process and is not improved by undergoing a second.

I must admit I freeze bacon Meg. I only have bacon once a week, my bacon roll on Sunday mornings. Now out of a packet of say 8 thick slices, I only use 2, so I trim any fat off, and parcel up the rest in foil in packs of 2 slices and pop them in the freezer, then I only need take out 1 pack at a time. It doesn't taste any different to me whatsoever.
I've always done it and I'm still here!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 04:48 PM

People say that frozen (and then thawed) seafood is never the same as 'fresh' stuff.
As an angler for decades, I reckon the difference is miniscule if ....
the fish is bled and killed immediately it is caught,
thrown straight into an ice slurry and
filleted, skinned, boned and frozen as soon as one gets home.
(This last step can be undertaken over a bottle or two of fine Western Australian sauvignon blanc)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 04:51 PM

Fish murderer!

I'm surprised you haven't concocted a recipe for using cats.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Cats make ideal crabpot bait.

Mudcrabs however are more attracted to live bait so ...
I have developed these fit-for-purpose moggie mini-snorkels.
Specifically for kittens.
One or two kittens to the pot, fitted with the snorkel, will thrash around for however long it takes before ...
crunch !

The added bonus ?
I've just saved thousands of native wildlife from torture and possible extinction.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-08-2016, 09:54 PM

There's a few cat lovers on here that will cheerfully make YOU extinct when you come to England, if you're not careful, Pummy.

A nice picture just for you, my sweet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top