Join for free
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 08:52 AM

Shoulder to shoulder

An interesting fact...

We humans have mostly a distorted perception of large numbers. Let's create a little scenario: imagine, one would take the entire Earth's population of 7.4 billion people and bring them to Japan, to distribute them evenly. All people in the world in this one country! How many people would be standing on 1 square meter (approx. 11 square feet) in Japan? Take a guess … you immediately would think of masses of people, of the confinement, of people standing shoulder to shoulder … far from it! Every single person would have around 51 square meters (approx. 549 square feet) of space for themselves and the rest of the globe would be deserted …

(courtesy of www.fullmoon.info )
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 08:54 AM

Re: Shoulder to shoulder

Must be able to get loads into Australia.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
An interesting fact...

We humans have mostly a distorted perception of large numbers. Let's create a little scenario: imagine, one would take the entire Earth's population of 7.4 billion people and bring them to Japan, to distribute them evenly. All people in the world in this one country! How many people would be standing on 1 square meter (approx. 11 square feet) in Japan? Take a guess … you immediately would think of masses of people, of the confinement, of people standing shoulder to shoulder … far from it! Every single person would have around 51 square meters (approx. 549 square feet) of space for themselves and the rest of the globe would be deserted …

(courtesy of www.fullmoon.info )
Wow that is surprising. You would think it would take a Country at least the size of say China or Brazil.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Thats incredible to imagine that ....all the people in the entire world? in Japan? takes some believing doesnt it?
I never realised Japan was such a large country to be able to accomodate the entire world population!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 11:23 AM

I'd well believe that Barry. I remember my grandfather used to quote an old saying “If the world was divided equally every man could mount a horse at dawn and ride till dusk, and all that land would be his own” Didn’t mention women though, I’d imagine with the laws they had back then women didn’t own land. I suppose today the greedy amongst us would ditch the horse and charter a plane.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 12:18 PM

Most of Japan is uninhabitable though which is why their city areas are so populated
I wonder if you could do the same test with the UK?

Bagsie not living on the top of Ben Nevis
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 12:56 PM

humans do not spread themselves evenly across the globe they enmasse together in large numbers for safety and comfort rather like the wilderbeests!

they hug the shores of Australia and pay lots of dollars for expensive plots of land. Spreading evenly is not a human option!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:15 PM

That is surprising, but I am afraid I really dislike crowds, so I would like to have around 51 square miles. On a serious note though, we could not survive , living on 51 Square meters because we would need to grow food, build shelter and dispose of waste.... so the whole thought fills me with horror!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Find that fact really amazing. If this question came up in a quiz , I can guarantee not many would put Japan as their answer !!.
As to space per person, this lady from Shropshire is staying put thank you. I love living on the edge of the centre of town yet if I get in the car, within 4 minutes we're driving in the most beautiful Shropshire countryside. Wouldn't swap that for the most expensive house in London or Geisha house in Tokio! .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top