Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2010, 12:15 PM

ZOO's and CIRCUS's!!!!

Does anyone remember Zoo's & Circus's of the past? They were so sad. I remember Polar Bears pacing from one side of their cramped space to the other. Also big cats doing the same!

And those Circus's with animals performing tricks (that either made for amusement of poodles and chimps dressed up pushing prams or having a Tea Party. Or larger animals (Lions jumping through flaming hoops and performing on stalls, and Elephants doing hand stands from the front and rear) Stripping these animals of their dignity.

Who remembers Guy the Gorilla in London Zoo?

Animals deserve better .... and rely on mankind to provide it!

Regards,
Rainbow
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Re: ZOO's and CIRCUS's!!!!

I remember going to the Zoo's when I was younger and it upset me, I do not like animals being caged up.
There is a Wild life animal park in South Lakes where most of the animals are free to wander amongst the people.
The Kangaroo' s Wallabies, Lemurs, Emus etc are their for the people to get close to and feed.
The Lions Hippos Tigers' etc are in large enclosures and have to search for their food so it is a bit like being in their own type of environment.
It is much bettter than Zoo's as I rememeber.
Never been to a circus.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2010, 01:18 PM

I am glad they are the thing of the past too!

Dog racing should be next to be banned - poor greyhounds, get 'disposed of' when they are no longer any use!!! :-x
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Yes I remember both. Thankfully times have moved on and we now have wildlife parks and rescue places. It doesn`t stop all the tree felling in the rain forests but it helps.

And yes greyhounds do get killed but some are rescued as they are a very gentle dog and can make ideal pets if folk have the room and time.

If anyone thinks fox hunting should come back they might care to reflect on the fate of ageing fox hounds.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Remember both...and hated both! Do not like caged animals-they upset me too much, and how they train animals in the circus to perform is disgraceful.....
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Hated circuses don't mind zoos where the animals can run as free as possible. Gosh I had forgotten Guy - memories, eh?
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2010, 10:26 AM

So much better the huge near natural enclosures for animals to live and enjoy.

Was it Guy who they introduced to a companion kitten? Or am I thinking of another Gorilla? I believe the Kitten died naturally, and the Gorilla who understood sign language, could not understand 'death' and the loss of his companion. So sad.

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Don't like zoos; don't like the circus - don't like cages or captivity.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2010, 07:58 AM

I really hate circuses, but don't mind some zoo's these days in the past they were pretty awful.
Don't get me started on greyhound racing, they say the dogs safety and welfare is most important when they race. Well if thats the case then race them on straight tracks as its the bends where they most often bump and get injuries sometimes fatal.
I have a lovely ex-racing greyhound, so quiet and gentle and always so grateful for anything you do for him. They are the perfect pet and very very lazy.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

I often take my grandchildren to zoos, the ones I visit are nothing like the caged animal ones from years ago - most are in large paddocks which give the animals more freedom. Even the gorillas have large islands all to themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top