Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 10:39 PM

Schindler's List

Yes - I know it has been around since 1993 but I have only just seen it. Bought it because I rather like Liam Neeson.

Wow - what a film!

I found it profoundly moving, harrowing, interesting and frightening all at the same time - but - the thing that actually reduced me to tears was the 'bonus' documentary feature at the end of the film. Some of the actual people that were on Schindler's list sitting and talking about their experiences in Poland at the time. Incredible!!

Having watched it through I would love to be able to say this could never happen again - but the scary thing is - it already is happening, isn't it? Not the nazis this time but ISIS.

Is there no end to man's inhumanity to his fellow man??
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 10:44 PM

Re: Schindler's List

I like Spielbergs work, but for some reason i just dont fancy this film.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 10:49 PM

It's one of my all time favourite films ... pretty much for the reasons Silver Tabby said. Not many films move me .. and I admit I had shiny eyes after watching it. Very sad, without soppy sentiment. Very though provoking.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I like Spielbergs work, but for some reason i just dont fancy this film.
Neither did I, Nom, which is probably why it has taken so long for me to come to it. Don't really like war films at all, but do like Liam Neeson and Steven Spielberg.

It really made me think!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

14-08-2016, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It's one of my all time favourite films ... pretty much for the reasons Silver Tabby said. Not many films move me .. and I admit I had shiny eyes after watching it. Very sad, without soppy sentiment. Very though provoking.
I agree with all of that, Morty. I wasn't around during the war and find the whole concept scary.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Yes - I know it has been around since 1993 but I have only just seen it. Bought it because I rather like Liam Neeson.

Wow - what a film!

I found it profoundly moving, harrowing, interesting and frightening all at the same time - but - the thing that actually reduced me to tears was the 'bonus' documentary feature at the end of the film. Some of the actual people that were on Schindler's list sitting and talking about their experiences in Poland at the time. Incredible!!

Having watched it through I would love to be able to say this could never happen again - but the scary thing is - it already is happening, isn't it? Not the nazis this time but ISIS.

Is there no end to man's inhumanity to his fellow man??
Or the Labour Party in this country ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 01:46 AM

I saw Schinders List many years ago . The first time I had ever been to a cinema on my own ( it was in the afternoon) Such was the effect of the film that no one moved to leave the cinemas quickly at the end as people usually do .
Everyone left slowly and somberly the horror too real.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 04:25 AM

I think Schindlers List and The Pianist are two of the best war movies ever made. Terrific films.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 06:34 PM

I have seen both and the Pianist is more powerful for me, as I had and have close working connexions with Poland - even watching Polish satellite TV most days.
I have also worked in Germany, and had profound conversations with Germans over areas like WW2. On one occasion, I was in a Stuttgart hotel for a week, and a Werhmacht group of old men discussed prisoners they had met, and they also sang marching songs. There were others like Schindler but on a smaller scale.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 06:46 PM

I haven't seen Schindlers list but I have seen the Pianist many times and felt great relief that the real man did live for many years after his awful story.
I tend to watch films about the persecution of the Jews because I need to understand why it was done and be glad that some survived. With these thoughts and your opinions I will try to find a video of Shindlers List. to watch it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top