Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 09:53 AM

Walking sticks

There seems to be a lot of interest in old walking sticks these days. They often sell for quite a bit on the TV auction programmes. Some have rather nice carved animal heads on them.

So I was wondering if those who are reliant on a stick, buy special decorative ones for use or as a collection?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Re: Walking sticks

I've got a bit of a collection going because I don't need mine all the time I keep forgetting to take one with me, got a lovely floral one made of metal I think, I favour that one as its so pretty but tbh my husbands walking poles are better to keep me balanced I think.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:02 AM

I make my own and have a collection of my own and have given quite a few away.
No fancy carvings or additions just plain old beech, oak, holly or alder, sometimes called Scottish Mahogany.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I make my own and have a collection of my own and have given quite a few away.
No fancy carvings or additions just plain old beech, oak, holly or alder, sometimes called Scottish Mahogany.
Have you not fancied doing a bit of decorative carving and selling them Malcolm?
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:46 AM

I have a beautifully carved walking stick dated 1888.It was carved by a Captain "Tar" Williams (a relative somewhere in the past).
The last bit of the poem engraved on it reads"I have been bound to round the Horn,far far from Wales where I was born"
I have always treasured it and hope it will continued to be after my day.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-08-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
I have a beautifully carved walking stick dated 1888.It was carved by a Captain "Tar" Williams (a relative somewhere in the past).
The last bit of the poem engraved on it reads"I have been bound to round the Horn,far far from Wales where I was born"
I have always treasured it and hope it will continued to be after my day.
I'm sure it will be. I love items with a history.

Our house was built in 1886 and our oak wooden kitchen step is worn down in the middle by about an inch. I wonder how many times someone has stepped on it to wear it down that much?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've got a bit of a collection going because I don't need mine all the time I keep forgetting to take one with me, got a lovely floral one made of metal I think, I favour that one as its so pretty but tbh my husbands walking poles are better to keep me balanced I think.
The floral one sounds lovely. So without meaning to sound insensitive, do you see it as a kind of fashion accessory or just a stick?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:56 AM

I looked into replacing the NHS one i was issued with, by something more rustic and with a decent sized weighty head too it. However ive had to abandon my stick as it was not giving the support i needed.

Loved to see the hand made sticks at the country fairs that abound at this time of the year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I looked into replacing the NHS one i was issued with, by something more rustic and with a decent sized weighty head too it. However ive had to abandon my stick as it was not giving the support i needed.

Loved to see the hand made sticks at the country fairs that abound at this time of the year.
Some of them really are a work of art aren't they.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Some of them really are a work of art aren't they.
Indeed and highly collectable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top