Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 07:21 PM

camping is not for me

Invited by the kids and 2 grandaughters to go to Brixham in their T5 camper van with awning for few days last week . Helping put up the awning took hours even then it had flappy bits and did not fully attach to the side of the van which let in mosquitos who just love my blood ....

First night slept on flat seats that become a largish double bed , stiff as a board , rigid and sleepless as I lay beside 5 yr old rosie who wriggled and squiggled most of the night . My bladder screaming out for release as I felt my way out the van and unzipping awning as quietly as i could as I fell around , walked in the dark for what seemed miles to the toilet block .

Second night with quilt underneath I again tried to sleep having knocked back a large glass of wine , but rigid and stiff as I lay beside squiggly rosie , fumbled my way through van and awning zipping and unzipping and falling about till I escaped wet walls of plastic and sighed with relief as my poor bladder released after what seemed hours of tossing and turning .

Third night , daughter says , mum sleep with me on blow up bed in awning it's sooooo comfy . So onto blow up bed I climb , covered in 2 duvets and a blanket , the cold coming up from the plastic floor into my back , the bed pumped up so hard it's like lying on a mountain of pot holes , the night was ready for me .....in comes a storm , the awning flapping and flying the noise of the wind hitting the flappy bits , daughter and me laughing so much it hurt , eventually we call son in law who gets up and hammers down the pegs and tries to tighten flappy bits . We all climb back into our pits , daughter and me still laughing as we clung on to each other under the awning . The inevitable happens , my bladder starts to scream at me , I zip and unzip and fly up the toilet block in the rain and wish I was home in my own bed with a 5 step walk to my toilet .

Last night I got home , exhausted , pale , and fell into my own king size temper mattress and slept like a log ....bliss , sheer bliss
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 07:26 PM

Re: camping is not for me

Aw Susan I confess camping is not for me either these days, old bones deserve a bit of comfort ..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Sounds idyllic to me but we have camped under canvas, caravanned and camper vanned all our married life only recently gone soft and got a static.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 07:45 PM

I'd have trouble getting up off the floor!
I don't even have to go camping, I woke up face down on my bedroom floor at 3 am this morning!
It seems that even after 3 years I forget that I downsized to a single bed!
Got two bruises too!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 09:43 PM

Sue and Tess....I'm sorry Think I'd better go before I make a puddle laughing
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 09:56 PM

Sue, that was a brilliantly funny tale which really made me chuckle, thanks
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 10:07 PM

You've got a real way with words, I loved it ...
For a moment there I was hoping you'd gone for a week so I see what happened to you next.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'd have trouble getting up off the floor!
I don't even have to go camping, I woke up face down on my bedroom floor at 3 am this morning!
It seems that even after 3 years I forget that I downsized to a single bed!
Got two bruises too!
Tess, have you thought of putting one of those kiddies trampolines at the side of your bed?
Might be a good idea to glue some foam to the ceiling as well if you do,
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Tess, have you thought of putting one of those kiddies trampolines at the side of your bed?
Might be a good idea to glue some foam to the ceiling as well if you do,
That's it, I need the mop
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 10:52 PM

I used to love camping when I was a kid. It was so exciting but I don't think I would do it now. Too many luxury hotels out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top