Join for free
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Uk first time mobile phone user help needed please

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, im really not technically minded but since my husband is in hospital for a few weeks,ive been thinking i should get a mobile phone for emergencies.I dont want to get into contracts or owe people money or have to keep getting top ups, and i dont want to do texts,i just want to put a small amount £ on the phone for emergency, just the cheapest one easy one to use, but have no idea how to start, can anyone explain in easy English? Thankyou.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 01:18 AM

Re: Uk first time mobile phone user help needed please

Hiya, here's what i'd do.. ask a few friends local to you what network they're on so you can get an idea what will work in your area. Pop to Tesco and look at the cheap phones (all do txts so forget searching for one without lol) and in 80% of the cheap (under £20) selection there'll be a model thats supported by the network you've already decided to go with ie T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc. Even easier ask an assistant for a pay as you go cheap mobile and let them do the sales bit.
Here's an example of a T-Mobile cheapy that my house mate uses
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-2201.aspx
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 01:35 AM

I'm not sure how it works these days, but with pay as you go (payg) you used to have to top up at least once a month - so check with each network to make sure what their top up terms are like.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 02:00 AM

This is useful for what Azz has said..
http://direct.tesco.com/content/spec...rk-choice.aspx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I'm not sure how it works these days, but with pay as you go (payg) you used to have to top up at least once a month - so check with each network to make sure what their top up terms are like.
Also I can confirm that with Vodaphone pay as you go (PAYG) you must use the phone once in every three months, it can be to a freephone number or a number which just rings, but if you don't use it for three months you loose your credit and your number.

Other networks may have different rules but I once lost a lot because of this. It is written in the very small print on the paperwork.
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Thankyou everyone.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top