Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 11:32 PM

What a wonderful pair of boobies.

I've never been into bird watching.
Yes I like birds, especially birds of prey but never seen the fascination in twitching.

A couple of days ago gasman went with his wife and friends for a day out bird watching, walking and dinner.

It must be my age, I was quite interested so got some of my Grandad's old ornyt, ornatho...... Bird identification books out.

I may well become a convert.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1491  
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 11:56 PM

Re: What a wonderful pair of boobies.

I like birds as well Terry.
Particularly the greater flying...

PS
I too may become a convert.
Blimey Terry.
I almost said pervert there!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 11:59 PM

You'll get me into trouble with prefect.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You'll get me into trouble with prefect.
This prefect person Terry.
Who is it, pray?
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 12:04 AM

You daft pair !
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

31-07-2016, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
You daft pair !

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 03:16 AM

Children Attend

Nee gruel for you two, how dare you make light of my wonderful avian friends.

PS i dont like twitchers either, not proper birders just avian train spotters.

Heres a lovely pic of some birds for you to get your teeth into.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 07:18 AM

I read the Boobies shown in the photo are only seen on coasts in warmer areas of the World. Does anyone know if Boobies can be seen on British beaches? I don't mind a bit of bird-watching and have taken a few good photos over a time. Mostly just opportunistic ones where a bird was more or less presented to me in a particular pose and I happened to have a camera handy (nobody thinks I'm referring to women do they?).

One bird I should have photographed this week but didn't think to do so at the time;

I came home, opened the patio doors and there on the patio was a very small bird. It had flown into the glass and fallen down. It was alive but not going anywhere. I should have photographed it at that stage but care of the bird was the first thought.

I've had birds fly full-speed into the windows before and have a procedure for it. Put the peg basket over it and weight the basket down. This keeps any predator away. Put some water in with the bird and after a time (overnight once), it picks up again and flies away as soon as the basket is removed. I suppose they just get dazed by hitting the glass and take time to recover from it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 07:34 AM

I find that if you put a few 'stickers' on your patio doors that helps to stop the birds from flying into them. A bit untidy at first, I know, but you soon get used to them
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I find that if you put a few 'stickers' on your patio doors that helps to stop the birds from flying into them. A bit untidy at first, I know, but you soon get used to them
Yes, that's a thought. We have some stickers on an internal glass door to stop the family and visitors bumping into it. I might do that on the windows to prevent birds flying into the glass at the speed of a bullet.

Another problem we have in summer is birds walking into the house through the patio doors. We have so far had a Magpie, a Pigeon and a Blackbird just walk in. They don't just go straight out again though. They panic and flap around all over the place when someone goes into the room. Lots of bird mess everywhere.

I usually throw a towel over the bird, gather it up and open the towel in the garden. No permanent harm done to the bird or the room, barring a broken ornament. I suppose I ought to put a screen of some sort across the door.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top