Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:02 PM

Man Wins Tropical Island Resort In Raffle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ick-the-winner

An Australian couple who decided to raffle off their tropical island resort have picked a winner.

Tickets cost $49 (£37.33) and more than 50,000 people entered the competition.

Up for grabs was the 16-room Kosrae Nautilus Resort on the remote Micronesian island of Kosrae. It's been home to Doug and Sally Beitz since the 1990s but they want move back to Australia to enjoy being grandparents.

It lies north of the Solomon Islands and southwest of Hawaii and is home to about 6,500 people.

The competition website says the resort, which is popular for diving and fishing, is debt-free and profitable, employs 16 full-time staff and has $10,000 (£7,618) cash in the business bank account.

The prize includes the manager's four-bedroom residence, five rental cars, two 10-seater vans, a pick-up truck and the resort restaurant.

The draw was streamed live online and the winner is a bloke named Joshua.
http://www.kosraenautilus.com/

Some prize, huh .....
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:08 PM

Re: Man Wins Tropical Island Resort In Raffle

Originally Posted by Omah ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ick-the-winner

Some prize, huh .....
Wonderful, how cool would that be.

I believe they tried to auction Anglesey.
A 24 hour listing on eBay, starting bid 99p.
Unfortunately it didn't meet the £29.99 reserve.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:10 PM

How brilliant, what a great prize.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:17 PM

Amazing prize!

I'd rather Anglesey at a push though!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 04:48 PM

Oooh, by my reckoning...or my iPad's calculator, they took in around $2,450,000! So wonder if that covered their 'sale' price and costs?

Hope the others (losers) weren't disgruntled that much. Lol.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Oooh, by my reckoning...or my iPad's calculator, they took in around $2,450,000! So wonder if that covered their 'sale' price and costs?
https://wintheislandestates.com/enter/our-story/

Twenty-four years ago, Doug & Sally were in their late twenties, stuck in the corporate rat race with no end in sight. A government employee, Doug felt trapped and bored with the daily grind, and haunted by a little voice inside that kept insisting, “Surely this isn’t all there is to life. Surely there has to be more.”

After watching a documentary on Micronesia in 1991, Doug and Sally became fascinated with the untouched, idyllic paradise.

Doug says, “A few weeks later I randomly picked up a magazine in a doctor’s waiting room and saw an article about the business opportunities in Micronesia. It seemed like it was meant to be.

The next day, I contacted the magazine, they gave me the phone number of the person who wrote the article, and I was at his house three days later. The momentum just snowballed from there!”

With no experience in the tourism or hospitality industries and three young children, Doug and Sally knew they were taking a risk – leaving secure jobs and their family and friends - but they packed up the family and moved to their new tropical island home.

Doug and Sally’s children eventually grew up and moved away, so over the last twenty plus years they’ve returned to the mainland for weddings and the arrival of new family members.

Now the time has come for Doug and Sally to return to Australia, prompted by a very special delivery three years ago. “We have four boys, and three years ago one of them gave us a beautiful granddaughter. She lived here for a year and we got to enjoy her every day. Then, when she left, we were just heartbroken. Sally particularly feels the tug on her heartstrings to be closer to our little angel and any other grandchildren that come along.

“We’ve had our time in the sun and enjoyed a career most people would never even dare dream about, but our current goal now is to become professional grandparents. We feel like a new chapter in our lives is beginning, and we’re ready to pass the baton to someone else,” Doug says.
I think the £2m will just be a bonus - Doug and Sally have had 22 years living in a paradise .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:23 PM

At 75,485 entries, the total raised was $3,698,765!!!!!

A very big WOW!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:38 PM

How lovely, and what a wonderful life they have had. Now it looks as though someone else is being offered the opportunity to take their place.
I wish them all the very best.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

27-07-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
At 75,485 entries, the total raised was $3,698,765!!!!!

A very big WOW!!!
I suspect much of that will be spent on their family, particularly their granddaughter .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top