Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Barclaycard and Amazon

Finally after getting "payment refused" mails I hope Iīve got the Amazon problem sorted. Iīve always paid by Barclaycard Master card, for more years than I care to remember. I contacted Amazon, they told me to contact the bank. This morning I rang Barclaycard, less hassle than I expected after previous experiences, but regarding the security questions, can you believe I was asked what my telephone number was at the time we began our contract with Barclaycard? Since it was 1995 when I had the first card, I hadnīt got a clue what my phone number was then.

However we eventually got around to the problem, the problem evidently being that Barclaycard no longer deal with MasterCard. I told the woman my Mastercard was quite new, start date April 2016, just cut it up she said and use the Visa Electron card, do not use the MasterCard, we no longer deal with it.

So we will see, but you would think they would inform people of these changes, I most certainly have never been informed.

Later today I will "attempt" to place an order with Amazon, then wait and see what happens.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Re: Barclaycard and Amazon

It's all so confusing, isn't it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Websites often fail to mention the most obvious information.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Well that's news to us might explain my husbands problem placing an order though so I'll mention it to him. Shouldn't this information be officially send though not having to rely on word of mouth like this ?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well that's news to us might explain my husbands problem placing an order though so I'll mention it to him. Shouldn't this information be officially send though not having to rely on word of mouth like this ?
Exactly Julie. It could cause immense problems, imagine someone has gone on holiday and relied on their Barclaycard MasterCard. I most certainly was never informed it had been discontinued, it must have been recently too since my card was valid from March 2016 to 2019. Barclaycard are very quick to send out their invoices, including ones that read "00.00", which is a complete waste of money, but don't bother informing people when they decide to discontinue MasterCard.

I have since updated my Amazon payment method, placed a small order and received confirmation that the order is being despatched. I assure you that the woman I spoke to this morning told me they no longer dealt with MasterCard and to destroy mine immediately and use only the Visa electron. It would be a good idea for your husband to check it out too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 02:01 PM

Yes he's going to look into it when he gets home, I agree about the problems it could cause luckily he only uses his for Amazon and tesco.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

26-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes he's going to look into it when he gets home, I agree about the problems it could cause luckily he only uses his for Amazon and tesco.
Good Julie. I would be interested to hear if he is told the same as me.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 03:55 PM

I don't deal With Barclay, never have. If that had happened to me I would have closed the account having transferred all my business to a different bank ! So far I have had no trouble whatsoever with the Co-Operative Bank and I have been with them for over 10 years (since I had a falling out with Halifax !). It's no good, you'll have to join the Co-op Bank - I have an arranged overdraft facility (in case of emergencies) and I get charged a few pence each month for it ! They are always very helpful, courteous and co-operative (I did try to think of an alternative word, but couldn't LOL). So far I have no complaints with my bank, oh and by the way, I am always informed of any changes well in advance of them happening.

What has happened to you, Clumsy, is nothing short of disgraceful, particularly as you say about people on holiday and not being able to use their Mastercard - what a situation to be in ! Barclay's are unforgivable.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

26-07-2016, 04:19 PM

I agree with you Gilly, the lack of informing clients is disgraceful. We don't bank with Barclays though, we only used them for the card convenience, but never, ever paid off the balance monthly, always paid the full amount when the bill came and we've never had such a problem as this one before.
Actually I lie, we did use Barclays bank when we lived in Kenya, mainly because it was the only "familiar" one, but that's quite another story.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I assure you that the woman I spoke to this morning told me they no longer dealt with MasterCard and to destroy mine immediately and use only the Visa electron.
Is the Visa electron also a credit card

I have a 'Master Card' credit card (Payment up to 60 days after purchase)

I also have a 'Visa' card which is an instant debit card (Money out the bank the instant you use it)

I had a problem paying (PayPal) with the Mastercard only a few days ago, they (PayPal) accepted my Visa card 'tho.

I'm not happy if Mastercard have been given the elbow by the banks as I prefer to use the credit card for online purchase's (for obvious reasons)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top