Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 07:09 AM

Just got an E mail

From Amazon.

Have not used them in years because they don't pay Tax.

This is an important message from Amazon.

At Amazon we take your security and privacy very seriously. As part of our routine monitoring, we discovered a list of email address and password sets posted online. While the list was not Amazon-related, we know that many customers reuse their passwords on several websites. We believe your email address and password set was on that list. So we have taken the precaution of resetting your Amazon password. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but felt that it was necessary to help protect you and your Amazon account.

Un Quote

So If In future I start being Nice to you Lefties I have been Hacked.

Serious..... Have just spent an Hour changing my Passwords on any site that I use for buying things.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 08:24 AM

Re: Just got an E mail

Did they really reset your password? Did you access your account via their website to make sure? I'd be a bit suspicious of such an email and would go to the website instead of clicking on any links (not that that was what you did!)
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Did they really reset your password? Did you access your account via their website to make sure? I'd be a bit suspicious of such an email and would go to the website instead of clicking on any links (not that that was what you did!)
I fear that unfortunately Galty has possibly been the victim of a scam.
Amazon would NEVER change your password like that.
NEVER.

Double check whatever you did there Galty.
I worry for you.
I really do.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I'd have been very suspicious of that too Jazzi & Boozy.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 11:53 AM

You could always send Amazon customer Service an enquiry asking them about any activity on your account.
They've always been very helpful when I've harangued them.

Once , when I discovered some unasked for dictionaries had arrived in my kindle library thingy I whizzed one off like a missile voicing my hysterical suspicions my account had been hacked.
Wrong. They were free and amazon had added them. A big nit and red face time for me.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
We believe your email address and password set was on that list.
This is the giveaway line TBH.

How would Amazon or anyone else know your password? It is encrypted by a computer system so not even system administrators can see it. All Amazon staff can ever do is reset your password.

So the above statement is clearly a lie.

The only thing they could note is that the so-called list contained an email address that they had registered on their system. So what? Your email address will be on thousands of systems.

It is still possible that, if they are working with security authorities, they could potentially have been notified of a list of compromised email addresses and thus decided to change the passwords of all the users who appeared on that list.

All you would have to do is go check your amazon account directly to see if that had happened.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 12:17 PM

I went to Amazon and changed the password myself.

Plus a couple of other sites that involve Money.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Galty it is a scam see below..

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ed-031016.html

The email was discussed on here a couple of years ago too
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=19739
As said by other members Amazon would never change your password on your behalf.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I went to Amazon and changed the password myself.

Plus a couple of other sites that involve Money.
Are you sure it was a genuine Amazon page and not one created by the scammers?

I fear you've been had, as realist stated.....that line was a giveaway.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

21-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Sorry I should have explained There was NO link on the Email.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top