Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 09:51 AM

scratched music cd

Does anyone know if it's possible to clean a music cd and rid it of small scratches so I can continue to listen to it without it jumping .

Thankyou
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Re: scratched music cd

Yes it is Susan. Generally you put CDs through a machine which spins the disk and polishes a layer of it off.

Easiest way would be to pop to your nearest GAME shop, the one that sells Playstation and Xbox games as they have those machines and use them to clean up 2nd hand game CDs. Ask them nicely and they might put your CD through it.

Failing that you can buy your own manual machine which is like a CD case with a crank handle. You apply a blob of fluid and crank it and it does the same thing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 10:01 AM

I have tried several methods suggested on the web for DVDs but none have worked. Have not tried realists ideas though.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Here's one you can buy off Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disc-Protec.../dp/B008AVIT1I

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 01:33 PM

The feedback and comments are not very helpful or encouraging!

I too have a few CDs that need cleaning. I am going to rummage through my stuff and see if I have anything. I'm sure I bought a cleaning kit many years ago. May be wrong, but...
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I too have a few CDs that need cleaning. I am going to rummage through my stuff and see if I have anything. I'm sure I bought a cleaning kit many years ago. May be wrong, but...
Best thing to do is record them on your computer as MP3's and chuck the CD away.
Then get a free sound editor app from the net and take all the scratches and clicks out like magic !
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Best thing to do is record them on your computer as MP3's and chuck the CD away.
Then get a free sound editor app from the net and take all the scratches and clicks out like magic !
Might be best to hang onto the original media of any music being copied. If it came to the crunch, which it probably won't, it would then be possible to prove that the music had been purchased and not just copied from a friend's CD (for instance).

Even then, in the event you were pulled up for 'format shifting', it could mean a law has still been broken:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy...f-music-again/

If copying music, keeping hold of the original media seems the best thing to do. Just a precaution that might be for the best.

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I thought the advice on what could be done seemed OK.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 03:15 PM

That's right mart put the fear of God in these old ladies
Millions upon millions of tracks of music are downloaded and re recorded daily on computers all over the planet.
The net is awash with music, look at YouTube for example .... Here is one law which will never be policed nor used in anger.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone. Its music I downloaded years ago when I had a computer . Will give it a try
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 03:25 PM

You are right Malcolm. An outside chance. Just saying to hang onto the original media is all. Might as well do as not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top