Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 08:42 PM

Isolation

Have you ever felt isolated? If so, has it been due to physical reasons or a state of mind?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Re: Isolation

Yes Both .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Yes. State of mind.
Sometimes it's not a bad thing. In it's own way it can be quite healing to withdraw into yourself till you sort yourself out.
Not to be confused with loneliness.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:05 PM

I agree Morti. It can be a good or bad thing. Which it is may depend on state of mind though.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:06 PM

Yes. Many years ago when I was a young mum we moved house. The new place wasn't so friendly and I badly missed having a friend pop round for a cuppa & a chat. To top it all the new neighbours fell out with me because our children had been fighting. I wished I'd never moved house but couldn't do anything about it. I felt so alone - I didn't buck up until I found myself an evening job - once amongst friendly people again I felt better.

Another time I felt isolated was in the 1980's - I developed clinical depression and was on medication for a year. I don't know what brought it on but I was really bad, had suicidal thoughts - I lay in bed scheming how I could end my life and make it look like an accident. I thought of crashing the car but was afraid I might be a survivor. In the end I thought of my family and knew I couldn't do it.
Nobody could get through to me - I felt detached. I only slept 3 hours a night. A horrible time - I feel so much sympathy for people with depression because I know how it feels.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

09-07-2016, 09:12 PM

You're right about the depression, Carol. Detachment can be a big isolating factor. Glad you came out the other side ok.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I agree Morti. It can be a good or bad thing. Which it is may depend on state of mind though.
I 'd got meself a little depressed at the time. Been around people made me feel worse. They were far too jolly for me to relate to. A bit like Carol I wanted to go meet the Grim Reaper for a while. Carried a knife around in my handbag and picked a quiet spot at the local canal so as not to leave a mess at home
But I'm alright now.
Besides, I was put off when I read the canal bank was supposed to be haunted.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

09-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Besides, I was put off when I read the canal bank was supposed to be haunted.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

09-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Sometimes safety in numbers is not appealing.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

09-07-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Sometimes safety in numbers is not appealing.
Very true.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top