Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:22 PM

It's officially silly season

I suppose it's the same everywhere at this time of year. I set off to the shops this morning and within a very short distance had two cars coming up the wrong side of the road. Cars immediately swerve, smiling and waving, windows down, shouting, "sorry, forgot which side of the road we were on".

Went into Lidl, after driving round and round trying to find a parking space. Got my shopping, joined one of the queues, trust me to get the queue where some dingbat is arguing as to why he should be able to pay in sterling, then going through a range of credit cards until he finds one that works.

From there into Mercadona where virtually in every aisle someone asks if I understand Spanish and can I tell them what the instructions on a product are, what is the Spanish for beef etc etc. Back in a check out queue and here we go again, everyone wanting to pay by credit card, if they can find one that works.

It can only get worse, next month all the Madrilenos arrive to their holiday homes. The ones around here are all very nice but oh boy are they noisy!

Roll on September
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:34 PM

Re: It's officially silly season

You love it really
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You love it really
I should be used to it, it's the same every year. We do avoid the beaches in July and August, well it's a case of having to really, you can't get near them
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:45 PM

Same here Clumsy. Luckily we live away from the main drag. We have no Mercadona or Lidl in Playa Blanca and just been told our local Ropers is closing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I should be used to it, it's the same every year. We do avoid the beaches in July and August, well it's a case of having to really, you can't get near them
I'm pretty certain where we have our caravan they are used to clogged roads and people getting in the way in the summer, last weekend we were down there were mutterings in the local shop about crowds of holibob makers.

Not sure what the answer is really unless you want to live in an ugly area no one wants to visit
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

05-07-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm pretty certain where we have our caravan they are used to clogged roads and people getting in the way in the summer, last weekend we were down there were mutterings in the local shop about crowds of holibob makers.

Not sure what the answer is really unless you want to live in an ugly area no one wants to visit
I don't think there are any answers Julie, we just tend to stay home more during July and August, it's too hot to venture far anyway.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

05-07-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Same here Clumsy. Luckily we live away from the main drag. We have no Mercadona or Lidl in Playa Blanca and just been told our local Ropers is closing.
We are not on the main drag either Goldie, but I need to "sort of" head that way to Mercadona and Lidl. We do have another Mercadona and Aldi about the same distance away, perhaps I'll go there for a few weeks. Ropers I don't know, never seen a Ropers here. We have the English quick saves, Dial Prix (which was Supervalue), Consum, Al Campo, plus a few "local type" shops, but most require transport, if only because of carrying shopping. Blowed if I'm carrying shopping home, from the shop to the car is more than enough for me.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 05:18 PM

Hi

Here we have what we call the Birmingham Armada.

Caravans and boats pouring down the main roads to Mid and North Wales Friday afternoons and back again Sunday evenings.

Back roads time, otherwise it can add an hour to your journey.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

05-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Oh yes, back roads are very useful, providing the tourists never find them.
You should try getting into Bakewell on a bank holiday, or anywhere else around that area, without backroads and farm roads we would never have got anywhere.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We are not on the main drag either Goldie, but I need to "sort of" head that way to Mercadona and Lidl. We do have another Mercadona and Aldi about the same distance away, perhaps I'll go there for a few weeks. Ropers I don't know, never seen a Ropers here. We have the English quick saves, Dial Prix (which was Supervalue), Consum, Al Campo, plus a few "local type" shops, but most require transport, if only because of carrying shopping. Blowed if I'm carrying shopping home, from the shop to the car is more than enough for me.
They have been here for years and retiring for us Lidl is about 30 mins away. We have local Hyperdino but very expensive. We used to do a month's meat shop at Roper. Have to rethink our plans now but at least I have driven now

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top