Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:31 PM

Have you ever changed your mind? and Why?

Have you ever changed your mind about something? and why did you change it?

I was just thinking back to when I had been working for a few years at the MOD and decided to look for another job in central London. A faboulous position was on offer and I was invited for an interview. Whilst sitting in reception I started chatting to the Receptionist who kindly informed me I was about the 61st applicant for the position as they were looking for the right person to make up the administration team of 6.
Well, I can tell you that after hearing that, I was as good as ready to walk away there and then... but changed my mind, took a deep breath and went to the Ladies instead, looked at myself in the mirror and told myself...come on Mary, let's see if they are good enough for you not whether you are good enough for them. I then walked into the office of the Boss - a huge American businessman, this office was absolutely massive. all Mahogany,Walnut and expensive fittings, I felt I was walking 1/2 mile before I reached the chair at the bosses desk where he was sitting with the head of administration.
The interview went okay and then it came to a question.
Would you consider yourself a good secretary, a very good secretary or an excellent secretary?
I just replied ....The Best!!
Guess what! I got the job! yeah !
a fabulous job where I was extremely happy until we moved back to Shropshire.

What about you? Have you ever changed your mind about something and why? I'm sure there must be loads of interesting and life-changing stories from fellow over50's on here........ would love to read about them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Re: Have you ever changed your mind? and Why?

Hi

Yes Shropshire Girl I have.

My absolute certainty that I was right has long since gone.

The folly of youth, amazing how wrong your parents can be when you are 18.

When you are 25 it is amazing how much they knew.

I was a right arrogant sod when I was young, so much to learn, but no idea at all.

I was the youngest ever Expert Witness in the UK, arrogant and big headed.

The fall, when it came, was brutal.

A judgement, in this instance Mr M was less wrong than the others involved.

A lesson to be learnt, practical experience is far more important than the ability to pass exams.

I have listened and learnt ever since.

I am still listening and learning and will continue to do so.

Anyone who thinks that they have all the answers is not only an idiot, they are also a danger.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Yes, I too switched decisions on a job, when I left school. One was two bus rides away, at £5.14shillings per week, and then I had an interview at a place just 5 minutes down the road, at £6. Took the latter, obviously, and my job life went okay over the years.

Of course, I'd love to know how it would have all panned out, had I taken the first job. Would I have stayed there, would I have left and gone on to do something else. Would I have still been able to enjoy voluntary redundancy and later retire early, knowing I had a financial cushion? I often wonder...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 12:24 PM

No I have never changed my mind my wife does it for me.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 12:46 PM

In my teens and 20's I thought I was good at everything.
In my 30's I realised this was not so and decided to focus on my good points.
In my 40's I realised time was moving on and started to panic when I couldn't find my talents or good points.
Now, in my 50's I've changed my mind
I've realised I'm no good at anything but Life seems so much simpler and less stressful now.
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 03:47 PM

A person I have known for over 40 years has always been known as a very hard worker. On many occasions they have been unable to meet friends or do things for relatives because they "are working so hard and can't get away" and people, including myself have allowed for this despite many disappointments over the years.
I have now however, changed my mind and realised that they are merely selfish and have put themselves first all the time so now I do not bother about them and it is so refreshing. So yes, it took forty plus years but I've now changed my mind.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 04:23 PM

I once went for a job interview at Porton Down-umm well we all do silly things and change our minds.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top