Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 01:04 AM

Italy and the EU

I think that Italy may be the next country needing to be bailed out by the EU.
I thought that they were a successful country but it appears their banking system is awash with unpaid loans and lots of money still finds its way into the pockets of the Mafia .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Re: Italy and the EU

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think that Italy may be the next country needing to be bailed out by the EU.
I thought that they were a successful country but it appears their banking system is awash with unpaid loans and lots of money still finds its way into the pockets of the Mafia .
Yes several countries on the tip of needing help I think, do much for us all being richer under the eu, we might be much better off alone.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Italy and Spain alike have been in a state of finance disaster for some years now. I posted elsewhere, probably 1-2 years ago how Italy had shut the banks, and enforced rules which included:

People could only withdraw a certain amount of Euros out of the banks at a time

People could only take something like 10,000 Euros in cash out of the country no more

People could only trade so much in Euros using their credit cards

I can't remember all the details now but Italy were in dire straits at that time. There was a map of Europe published which should the debt status of each European country with the worst being coloured in black. Italy, Spain, Greece were all black and the UK was not far behind them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
we might be much better off alone.
No doubt about that whatsoever.

Once we are in a stable position, we might even be able to offer aid to some of our European neighbours as a goodwill gesture if they too pull out of the EU.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Italy and Spain alike have been in a state of finance disaster for some years now. I posted elsewhere, probably 1-2 years ago how Italy had shut the banks, and enforced rules which included:

People could only withdraw a certain amount of Euros out of the banks at a time

People could only take something like 10,000 Euros in cash out of the country no more

People could only trade so much in Euros using their credit cards

I can't remember all the details now but Italy were in dire straits at that time. There was a map of Europe published which should the debt status of each European country with the worst being coloured in black. Italy, Spain, Greece were all black and the UK was not far behind them.
Wasn't that Greece.

I've visited Italy at least once every year since 2004 and don't remember them being limited to cash withdrawal amounts.

When was it?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Who cares? I love Italy. Yes in Sicily the mafia may exist but they do not mess with tourists. In Naples Ok there is a lot of corruption. But I am just a tourist.allora
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Wasn't that Greece.

I've visited Italy at least once every year since 2004 and don't remember them being limited to cash withdrawal amounts.

When was it?
I seem to recall that shortly after the last Greek bailout there was talk of Italy heading for a bailout too. But then it went quiet.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top